From: Fabrice Le Fessant <fabrice.le_fessant@origin-labs.com>
Subject: [Caml-list] opam-bin: binary packages for opam, beta release
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 12:06:17 +0200

Hi,

  I am happy to announce the first public release of `opam-bin`, a
framework to create, use and share binary relocatable packages with opam:

https://ocamlpro.github.io/opam-bin

With opam-bin, you can :

* build binary packages while installing their source counterpart with opam
* automatically reuse previously created binary packages instead of
compiling them again
* export and share your binary packages as part of opam repositories
for other users/computers to use

  `opam-bin` is a framework in 3 parts :
* a tool `opam-bin` to create binary packages:
https://ocamlpro.github.io/opam-bin
* a set of patches to make some packages relocatable (`opam-bin` will
apply them automatically when building packages), including patches to
make the OCaml distribution relocatable from version 4.07.0 to 4.10.0:
https://github.com/ocamlpro/relocation-patches
* a set of contributed repositories of binary packages. We hope
more people will contribute them in the future. For now, there
is only one contribution :
https://www.origin-labs.com/opam-bin/debian10.4-amd64/ , containing 5
repos, among which the "4.10.0" repo contains more than 1800 packages.
These repos can be used directly with opam, without using opam-bin.

  This is the first public release, it should be considered as a "beta
release", though we have tested it a lot in the last days.

  `opam-bin` is a collaborative work between OCamlPro and Origin Labs.

Enjoy !
--
Fabrice LE FESSANT