Hi, > several core members trying to voice concerns about the feature in one PR, while other member PRs were simply merged into the tree Could you be more specific ? I think I have taken the time to discuss all these PRs (for 20 days for 2 of them, 13 days for the other one), I have modified the PRs to follow the requests that were voiced (for example, by removing the default -fPIC) and they were all reviewed by other core developers. If you think some concerns have not been taken into account, please, tell me. > yet I have not seen it or its costs vs benefits being discussed fully in any particular place Probably because the cost vs benefit is very hard to measure in most PR: the benefit might be small for some users, and big for other ones; some features might be hard to understand and to use, yet one developer can use them to develop a tool that can be used by many users; some features might look of little use at the beginning, yet, once they are present, other users might find usages that were not foreseen in the PR discussion. --Fabrice On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 5:09 PM Yotam Barnoy wrote: > I would like to alert the list to a potential problem with github PRs, > and a recent example of such a problem. > > I've noticed that recently, there has been an insertion of a > particular feature into the compiler. This feature involves > potentially long-term commitment in terms of maintenance, and yet I > have not seen it or its costs vs benefits being discussed fully in any > particular place. I'm specifically talking about PRs > https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/pull/648, > https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/pull/668 and > https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/pull/647. > > The problem with github PRs is that they allow you to insert features > piecemeal. This splits up the discussion across multiple PRs, making > it very difficult to have a discussion about the feature as a whole, > and making it seem like there is consensus when there might not be. > > As a rule, I recommend that any such large feature spanning multiple > PRs first require discussion either on the list or on mantis, to > concentrate discussion in one place. > > It may also be worthwhile to say that except for rare exceptions > (mostly bug fixes), PRs should not be merged by the same person who > authored them, as this makes the process seem biased and questionable. > > I don't know if this feature in itself is problematic, but I've seen > several core members trying to voice concerns about the feature in one > PR, while other member PRs were simply merged into the tree. In my > opinion, questions on sub-PRs of a feature should inhibit merging any > parts of said feature. > > This may be a false alert, but I think it is worth clarifying if it is > indeed one, and at the very least, the protocol should be set for the > future. > > -Yotam > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >