* [Caml-list] Recent hooks design and general github PR issues
@ 2016-07-19 15:08 Yotam Barnoy
From: Yotam Barnoy @ 2016-07-19 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to alert the list to a potential problem with github PRs,
and a recent example of such a problem.

I've noticed that recently, there has been an insertion of a
particular feature into the compiler. This feature involves
potentially long-term commitment in terms of maintenance, and yet I
have not seen it or its costs vs benefits being discussed fully in any
particular place. I'm specifically talking about PRs
https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/pull/648,
https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/pull/668 and
https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/pull/647.

The problem with github PRs is that they allow you to insert features
piecemeal. This splits up the discussion across multiple PRs, making
it very difficult to have a discussion about the feature as a whole,
and making it seem like there is consensus when there might not be.

As a rule, I recommend that any such large feature spanning multiple
PRs first require discussion either on the list or on mantis, to
concentrate discussion in one place.

It may also be worthwhile to say that except for rare exceptions
(mostly bug fixes), PRs should not be merged by the same person who
authored them, as this makes the process seem biased and questionable.

I don't know if this feature in itself is problematic, but I've seen
several core members trying to voice concerns about the feature in one
PR, while other member PRs were simply merged into the tree. In my
opinion, questions on sub-PRs of a feature should inhibit merging any
parts of said feature.

This may be a false alert, but I think it is worth clarifying if it is
indeed one, and at the very least, the protocol should be set for the
future.

-Yotam