We just uploaded another solution to this problem : opam init --comp 4.01.0+bin-ocp It is a binary distribution of OCaml 4.01.0 ("ocp" stands for OCamlPro, as it includes a small patch for relocation of the executables), working only on Intel Linux for now (32 and 64 bits), so you will only pay the download cost (about 65 MB), and not the compilation cost (you will still need to compile the next packages that you will install, as it is only the OCaml distribution). On most of our settings, downloading is much faster than compiling. Once it is installed, it keeps the archive in a cache (in ~/.opam/.ocp-compiler-cache/), so that creating other aliases from this switch will only be the cost of decompressing the archive: opam switch 4.01.0-for-something-else --alias 4.01.0+bin-ocp Tell us if you meet any problem using it ! --Fabrice On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 2:41 AM, Francois Berenger wrote: > I'm always annoyed when I have to wait ~20mn to install OCaml on a machine. > > Nowadays, thanks to OPAM, I think only a compiler is needed to > bootstrap quickly an OCaml environment for developers. > > -- > Best regards, > Francois Berenger. > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs > -- Fabrice LE FESSANT Chercheur en Informatique INRIA Paris Rocquencourt -- OCamlPro Programming Languages and Distributed Systems