On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM, oliver wrote: > > > > > The OCaml Language Specification is most certainly not a document > intended > > for a beginner either to OCaml or functional programming - an obsessive > > elimination of the word variable would likely make the text less clear > to those > > who will actually be reading it. > > OK, I see. > > FWIW, I avoid calling them variables when teaching people who are not math-savvy but already are C/Pascal/Python programmers (unfortunate condition!) Using "familiar" terms can be an obstacle in that case.