Thanks to all! I appreciate the enlightenment. I think I did a poor job on my word selection, a regular from me. On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Gabriel Scherer wrote: > You may interested in the Mezzo programming language, a research > language developed with the idea of having a finer-grained type-level > control of mutable memory. > http://protz.github.io/mezzo/ > > Many of the ideas that are informal in Rust are formally explicited in > Mezzo. The language is less ambitious than Rust in terms of feature > coverage (and thus less practical for everyday programming), but comes > with a precise semantics (which Rust lacks for now) and soundness > proof. It is a fairly interesting design, which can be presented as > aiming to turn the current research on separation logic into a > relatively usable programming language design. > > For a lively discussion of some of Mezzo design choices, what worked > and what did not work so well, see > "A few lessons from the Mezzo project", > François Pottier, Jonathan Protzenko, 2015 > > http://gallium.inria.fr/~fpottier/publis/fpottier-protzenko-lessons-mezzo.pdf > > On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 9:44 PM, Kenneth Adam Miller > wrote: > > I was thinking that while rust is new, some of what it is pioneering is > > really interesting, especially with the way it deals with ownership > being a > > type. Rust doesn't have a GC, yet it rules out leakage and remains fast. > It > > also manages concurrency safety very well. > > > > The stipulations put on types in the ocaml language are pretty strict, > and > > the GC is transparent to the user. What is the possibility that there > could > > ever be a version of ocaml that makes use of something like ownership or > > some typing mechanism to determine more at compile time, to facilitate > the > > removal or reduction of the GC? >