Oh wait! There's a source rewriter that myself literally used just two days ago that can eliminate camlp4 instances in favor of ppx. Lol, I should have remembered this *facepalm*. Yeah, so the complexity of such an undertaking just dropped significantly in my perception On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 4:25 AM, Kenneth Adam Miller < kennethadammiller@gmail.com> wrote: > That sounds like it would definitely be a good benefit to the community > and I'd be really happy to do it. I know that ppx is the successor to > camlp4, and I have a mind to teach myself the sort of magic where I can > annotate a type with some code generating function because I appreciate the > power. > > But right now, my extra curricular work is just ridiculously over loaded. > In my free time I'm teaching myself Coq, compiler construction with llvm, > taking a coursera course working on a shingled disassembler, working on an > ocamljava backend for ctypes and a ocaml link to CZMQ. I love what I do - > coding and learning all day long - but I have human limits, and I just > don't think I would be able to pick it up for probably 6-8 months. Possibly > something else will come along before then, whether that be even more > compelling challenges or that ocamlviz is seconded by something better. > > So, I really honestly would, but I don't think I can. :( > > On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 4:11 AM, Gabriel Scherer < > gabriel.scherer@gmail.com> wrote: > >> Have you considered porting ocamlviz to ppx? >> >> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Kenneth Adam Miller >> wrote: >> > So, I'm looking to do some performance profiling of some libraries and >> > tools. I would like some tools that are more language facilitated than >> an >> > alternative of using something like oprofile because while oprofile is >> good, >> > you can only guess at what is consuming the most time in your actual >> ocaml >> > source because all the function names have been lost by that time. >> > >> > I found ocamlviz, and that seems pretty good, but I'm looking for >> something >> > else because we plan to move away from using camlp4 toward ppx. >> Introducing >> > this will mean an additional hurdle to overcome once the transition is >> > complete in terms of customizing the build chain twice. >> > >> > In any case, I guess what I'd really like to know is: >> > >> > 1) How good are the ocamlcp and ocamloptp tools and how would you get a >> > vanilla oasis/ocamlbuild combo to easily start using them instead? >> > >> > 2) Are there any ppx based profiling tools out there? I need both >> memory and >> > time profiling to be done. OCamlviz was great because it had a graph-I >> don't >> > necessarily need a dedicated gui, but some way to visualize the data >> would >> > be very helpful. >> > >