From: Kenneth Adam Miller <kennethadammiller@gmail.com>
To: caml users <caml-list@inria.fr>, Ivan Gotovchits <ivg@ieee.org>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OSX OCaml ld compile errors
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 04:36:56 -0400	[thread overview]

Ivan, thanks again for your time and attention.

I updated OSX, but I think it was a xcode update. In any case, one of the
things that I did try to debug was reinstall opam switch and clear out my
environment already, but I'm not 100% positive that I did that in a clean
order, so I'll repeat that. Additionally, what I can immediately observe is
that a with-c example from oasis builds immediately. If I drop in my .c
file (actually a c++ target, with -xc++ in CCOpt) into that project renamed
and try to compile it, even with no ml modules, I get the same compile
errors. This establishes that a .a file, produced and linked by ocaml with
nearly identical build steps, works correctly and can be accepted by ld. ld
won't stop ignoring the archive file produced under _build.

So among the things that I have done was to make sure that the path
environment was consistent regarding the host compiler made visible to
ocaml and opam, rebuilding my switch, changing to a different switch to
build with, altering my target between x64 to x32 for the underlying
linkage to the c++ library I'm trying to use, and manually inspecting the
object and archive files for the target architecture. Tonight I'm going to
get my homebrew, port and opam packages entirely reinstalled.