From: Robert Muller <robert.muller2@gmail.com>
To: Yotam Barnoy <yotambarnoy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] ReasonML concrete syntax
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 13:56:18 -0500	[thread overview]

Apologies for igniting a bit of a syntax flame war; it wasn't my intention.
The Reason project is fantastic and I hope it's successful. I'm concerned
with teaching OCaml (or possibly Reason) not to JS programmers but to
first-year university students and to students being introduced to algebra.
(In the US, that means middle-school and high-school). I hope that to the
greatest extent possible, the use of parentheses in Reason will be
consistent with their most common use in algebra -- for grouping. OCaml
isn't perfect on this score but the n-argument function accepting an
n-tuple seems like the right thing. I'm hoping that I won't have to explain
to students things like

let add(m, n) = m + n
add(5)

or

let add((m, n)) = m + n

I feel that many of the Reason syntax diffs with OCaml are improvements but
this sort of thing is a step backward IMHO that won't be helpful to JS
programmers anyway.
Bob Muller