Check ocaml.org, there are tutorials, references, and book suggestions. I bootstrapped myself with a tutorial, then read through language spec. Ocaml is thankfully not a complicated language to get productive with. /M On Dec 24, 2012 1:30 PM, "Gour" wrote: > Hello! > > Some years ago I was looking for adequate language for one open-source > project to be done in free time and although I took a look at OCaml, > somehow, I didn't like syntax and went playing with Haskell. > > Never really grokked monads and had feeling that despite nice syntax, > some things are more complicated for pragmatic programming than they > should be. > > I managed to scare enough few potential contributors and had to > postpone the project for 'sometime in the future'. > > Later, I was exploring D (v2), but it seems that the language is never > finished, code breaks often from one version to another, poor GUI > bindings support etc. > > Shortly thought about using Python+Cython, but dynamic language never > sounded right for my project. > > In utter despair I went to evaluate Ada which seems as nice (a bit > verbose) language, mature, actively developed, good ecosystem, but > somehow I was missing lack of FP features. > > For a short time I took a look at Nimrod - nice & interesting language, > but very small community and lack of FP features. > > Then, I do not know exactly how, I got inspired to take a look at OCaml > and in a very short time, I could see that there is a language with > quite OK syntax, actively developed, not small community enabling me to > use FP language with thinking too much about monads and category theory > in order to do practical things. > > The remaining thing is to get hints how to proceed, iow.: > > a) Real World Ocaml is going to be released in Oct 2013, so I wonder is > there any online/paperback book you can recommend? I'm on Debian wheezy > which means no 4.0 yet, but probably we'll try to take advantage of new > features in due course of time > > b) it looks that Emacs is the best-supported editor for OCaml. How is > support in Vim/Geany? What do you recommend? > > Now I wonder about Typerex which looks cool, but I was told on #ocaml > that it's "dead project" and was recommended to use tuareg mode? > > That's actually everything or most important...editor & good book to > start with? > > > Sincerely, > Gour > > > -- > Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, > O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion — > at that time I descend Myself. > > http://www.atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810 > > > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs