On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Yaron Minsky wrote: > Core_kernel is pure OCaml, and so should work fine on Windows (and > Javascript!) > > Actually some dependencies of core_kernel have C code, like bin_prot: https://github.com/janestreet/bin_prot/blob/master/lib/blit_stubs.c > y > > On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM, David Allsopp > wrote: > > William wrote: > >> we are considering using OCaml for a rather large project, > >> the bulk of which will be networking and encryption. OCaml > >> seems to meet our needs with one exception: we'd like to > >> target windows (as well as linux & mac) and we got the > >> impression that this would be complicated -- we gathered > >> that neither jane street's Core nor OPAM are windows compatible. > > > > It's more complicated than Linux (& Mac), but not overly so. > > > >> Would still recommend using OCaml? Are there workarounds, or > >> other libraries that would replace Core? > > > > I believe Core_kernel aims to be the platform-neutral parts of core? > There are other Jane Street libs which compile just fine on Windows. > Batteries, as others have noted, works out of the box. Usually, I find that > the biggest problem in third party libs is in build systems (becoming less > so with Oasis, OCamlbuild and so on) making naïve decisions about Windows > but that doesn't usually take much patching. > > > > Most of what I do is Windows-oriented, but some of what I've done is > Windows and Linux. My experience is that it's important to keep Windows in > the picture early on to avoid pain later - so ensure that daily builds are > working on Windows or perhaps that one of your developers is always working > on Windows or something... that should avoid accidentally selecting a > Unix-only library and only realising that a painfully long way down the > road (or that the library you thought was cross-platform contains an assert > false for the function you need when running on Windows!). If you write > something which works on Windows in OCaml it will probably translate with > little pain to Linux but the reverse isn't necessarily true. > > > > While OPAM is great, I personally find that downloading and compiling a > library, even by hand, represents an insignificant amount of time compared > with reading its documentation, evaluating its samples and so on in the > overall process of working out whether I want to use a component... but > apparently the pain of not having a package manager really, really, really > hurts people coming from the Unix world ;o) > > > > HTH, > > > > > > David > > > > -- > > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >