* [Caml-list] [ANN] ucorelib 0.0.2
@ 2013-09-15 13:17 Yoriyuki Yamagata
From: Yoriyuki Yamagata @ 2013-09-15 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

I am pleased to announce the new release of ucorelib, a simple Unicode
library for OCaml.  This release adds the supports of all UTF encodings
(UTF-8, UTF-16, UTF-16BE, UTF-16LE, UTF-32, UTF-32BE, UTF-32LE).

https://github.com/yoriyuki/ucorelib/releases/tag/v0.0.2

ucorelib will be the core of the series of libraries which will provides
various operation over Unicode.

Enjoy!

--
Yoriyuki Yamagata
yoriyuki.y@gmail.com

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] ucorelib 0.0.2
@ 2013-09-15 14:37 ` Adrien Nader
From: Adrien Nader @ 2013-09-15 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoriyuki Yamagata; +Cc: Caml List

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013, Yoriyuki Yamagata wrote:
> I am pleased to announce the new release of ucorelib, a simple Unicode
> library for OCaml.  This release adds the supports of all UTF encodings
> (UTF-8, UTF-16, UTF-16BE, UTF-16LE, UTF-32, UTF-32BE, UTF-32LE).
>
> https://github.com/yoriyuki/ucorelib/releases/tag/v0.0.2
>
> ucorelib will be the core of the series of libraries which will provides
> various operation over Unicode.

Hi,

Can you explain how this relates to Camomile? Is this meant to be a
replacement at some point in the future?

Thanks,
Adrien Nader

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] ucorelib 0.0.2
@ 2013-09-15 14:59   ` Yoriyuki Yamagata
From: Yoriyuki Yamagata @ 2013-09-15 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrien Nader; +Cc: Caml List

2013/9/15 Adrien Nader <adrien@notk.org>

> Can you explain how this relates to Camomile? Is this meant to be a
> replacement at some point in the future?

Yes, it is meant to replace Camomile in the future.  I think there are
several problems in Camomile.

1. Monolithic.  Camomile is a large library.  it forces you to install many
encodings even if you want to just, say, use UTF-8.  I will brake Camomile
into the pieces.  ucorelib will be a core part of such libraries.

2. Not type safe.  UTF-8 string exposes internal byte strings.  ucorelib
will provide abstract Text data type whose internal data structure is
hidden.

3. Imperative.  Camomile mimics OCaml standard strings which are
imperative.  Instead, ucorelib and related libraries will be purely
functional.

4. Functor.  Camomile uses functor a lot.  Unfortunately this seems to
repel the beginners.  ucorelib uses the module language essential ways
(code converters are implemented by using first class modules) but for
casual users it does not requires any knowledge of OCaml's module system.

5. Data files.  Camomile needs to external data files to start.  This
causes a lot of problems.  ucorelib does not need external data files.

6. Unicode version.  I want to upgrade everything to Unicode 0.6.X, not
0,3,X.

Best,
--

@ 2013-09-15 15:07     ` Dmitry Grebeniuk
From: Dmitry Grebeniuk @ 2013-09-15 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoriyuki Yamagata

Hello.

> 3. Imperative.  Camomile mimics OCaml standard strings which are imperative.
> Instead, ucorelib and related libraries will be purely functional.

  Are you sure it's performance-wise?  There are applications where
excessive memory allocations create problems.