On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote: > On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 02:30:37AM +0200, Allan Wegan wrote: > > > > > Vim and Emacs are commandline editors - we got 2016 and IDEs for other > > languages evolved to be GUI-driven out there. > > I don't know vim, but emacs is *not* a command line editor. It's a > full-screen, text-mode only editor. > Yes! Moreover, emacs has a gui version for a long time. The gui version, supports mouse, rendering images and latex formulas, drop-down menus, and all the stuff that one might desire from a gui application. Maybe emacs gui is not as ugly as a regular Qt[1] application, but I can't blame it for this. [1]: or winapi, or gtk or gui framework If you're looking for a true command-line editor, look at some of the > editors I was using in the 60's and early 70's when we only had > printing terminals like the ancient teletypes. You gave them commands to > go > forward and backward in the text being edited, to search for particular > strings because how else are you going to tell them where to go when > you can'd even see the text you're editing (perhaps you had a > line-printer listing so you could tell it what string to search for) > and it wouldn't even show you the line you were working on unless you > gave it a command to do so. > > Those were command-line editors. > > -- hendrik > > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >