From: Carl Eastlund <ceastlund@janestreet.com>
To: Kenneth Adam Miller <kennethadammiller@gmail.com>
Cc: caml users <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Unit testing Core Async
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:53:48 -0400	[thread overview]

Internally at Jane Street -- and this may show up in some of the publicly
released code, but off the top of my head, I don't know what file to point
you at -- we run some of our async unit tests using
[Thread_safe.block_on_async_exn].  That will spin up the scheduler if
necessary, run the function you give it, block until the deferred is
determined, then return.  It does not shut down the async scheduler; we
generally don't do that until the program is done, so we would leave the
scheduler up from one test to another.  I don't know the entire rationale
behind this design, there may be a way to shut down the scheduler in
between tests, but in general it does not appear to be necessary.

As for partial reads, if you're concerned with receiving whole messages, I
think [Reader.read_one_chunk_at_a_time] can do what you need -- if you get
too little, just return [`Consumed (n_already_consumed, `Need
n_total_bytes_to_proceed)].

I hope this helps!

--
Carl Eastlund