* [Caml-list] include two module implementations sharing the same type definitions
@ 2018-11-29  8:52 Yann Régis-Gianas
From: Yann Régis-Gianas @ 2018-11-29  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear OCaml module hackers,

the recently polished "substitution inside type signature" (described in
Sec 8.11 in the manual) is a real improvement to modularize module
signature developments.

Yet, it seems to me that "include" at the level of module implementations
is preventing us to unleash the full composability power of "include" at
the level of signature. Consider the following example:

``
module type A = sig type t end

module type B = sig type t end

type u = U

module AI : A with type t = u = struct
  type t = u
end

module BI : B with type t = u = struct
  type t = u
end

module ABI : sig
  include A
  include B with type t := t
end = struct
  include AI
  include BI (* This include unfortunately triggers:

Error: Multiple definition of the type name t.
       Names must be unique in a given structure or signature.

  *)
end
``

I have two questions:

Would it make sense to allow module implementation inclusion to introduce
multiple definitions of a given type name as long as these definitions are
equivalent?

Is there an idiom to work around this (apparent) limitation?

Cheers,
--
Yann Régis-Gianas

* Re: [Caml-list] include two module implementations sharing the same type definitions
@ 2018-11-29  9:02 ` Danny Gratzer
From: Danny Gratzer @ 2018-11-29  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yrg; +Cc: caml-list

Hello,

Perhaps I'm overlooking something but replacing

    include BI

with

    include (BI : B with type t := t)

seems like a reasonable fix to me.

Danny

* Re: [Caml-list] include two module implementations sharing the same type definitions
@ 2018-11-29  9:07   ` Yann Régis-Gianas
From: Yann Régis-Gianas @ 2018-11-29  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Gratzer; +Cc: caml-list

Hello Danny,

and thank you! That is clearly a nice work around even though it may
require to introduce unnecessary module signatures for the only purpose of
composing module implementations.

Cheers,

--

@ 2018-11-29  9:08   ` Frédéric Bour
From: Frédéric Bour @ 2018-11-29  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danny.gratzer; +Cc: yrg, caml-list

1) In all generality,

  include (BI : module type of struct include BI end with type t := t)

will work if you haven't defined `module type B` or if `BI` exports other
types (say u) and you need to preserve equalities (BI.u = B.u).

2) Changes have been made to the module system in the trunk version of
OCaml. The original code should be accepted without any change.

@ 2018-11-29  9:12     ` Yann Régis-Gianas
From: Yann Régis-Gianas @ 2018-11-29  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frédéric Bour; +Cc: danny.gratzer, caml-list