* [Caml-list] CSE with FLambda?
@ 2016-06-20 15:37 Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2016-06-20 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

I haven't seen any reference to common subexpression elimination in
the FLambda documentation.  Sometimes a functor may be applied to the
exact same module in different parts of the code, and it may be
cumbersome to factor out this application.

Is or will FLambda be able to recognize such potential code
duplication and perform CSE on functor applications with identical
arguments?

Regards,
Markus

--
Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com

* Re: [Caml-list] CSE with FLambda?
@ 2016-06-21  6:17 ` Mark Shinwell
From: Mark Shinwell @ 2016-06-21  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mottl; +Cc: OCaml List

This doesn't happen at the moment.  We have it on our roadmap for
OCaml 4.05 (freeze around January 2017) to implement some form of pure
function application lifting and sharing, of which this is an example.
We also plan to consider introducing some notion of "function body"
(disentangling them from closures) so that we can automatically
deduplicate functions in general.

Mark