* [Caml-list] [ANN] OCaml-Java is going alpha, to github
@ 2014-07-14 22:15 xclerc
From: xclerc @ 2014-07-14 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: xclerc

Dear list,

This post announces a new version (namely alpha1) of OCaml-Java.
The main goal of the project is to provide a compiler targeting the
JVM. The related objectives are to gain access to a greater number
of libraries, and to be able to take advantage of multiple cores.

This new version is partially open-sourced: the code for the compiler
and associated tools, as well as libraries is fully available. The code
for the runtime support library comes as a prebuilt binary, and will
be open-sourced later, when clean enough. Installation steps for
binary-, source-, or opam-based distributions can be found at the
following address:
    http://www.ocamljava.org/installation

The new website (http://www.ocamljava.org) completely replaces
the previous one, and the project repository is now hosted on github:
    https://github.com/xclerc/ocamljava

The purpose of this alpha version is to gather feeback from the
community. So, feel free to contact me either by private mail or through
the github issue tracker. Some notes about the project can also be found
at the following address:
    http://www.ocamljava.org/notes

Regards,

Xavier Clerc

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] OCaml-Java is going alpha, to github
@ 2014-07-14 22:21 ` Raoul Duke
From: Raoul Duke @ 2014-07-14 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml

> This post announces a new version (namely alpha1) of OCaml-Java.
> The main goal of the project is to provide a compiler targeting the
> JVM. The related objectives are to gain access to a greater number
> of libraries, and to be able to take advantage of multiple cores.

on the one hand this sounds cool! :-)

on the other hand... i seems like it is just a deal with the devil to
get those multiple cores. :-(

;-)

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] OCaml-Java is going alpha, to github
@ 2014-07-15  9:38   ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2014-07-15  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raoul Duke; +Cc: OCaml

Am Montag, den 14.07.2014, 15:21 -0700 schrieb Raoul Duke:
> > This post announces a new version (namely alpha1) of OCaml-Java.
> > The main goal of the project is to provide a compiler targeting the
> > JVM. The related objectives are to gain access to a greater number
> > of libraries, and to be able to take advantage of multiple cores.
>
> on the one hand this sounds cool! :-)
>
> on the other hand... i seems like it is just a deal with the devil to
> get those multiple cores. :-(

Some months ago I was playing with a different devil: A compiler from
OCaml bytecode to Go. This is fairly simple to do (mainly because Go has
everything you need (like goto), and the transformation is not too
complicated). The speed was between bytecode and native code, but I
didn't do extensive tests (in particular, I have no idea whether the Go
memory management is fast enough for OCaml as there is no generational
GC).

Go is in particular interesting because it provides a model of
lightweight threading that can be backed by multiple cores.

Gerd

> ;-)

Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
My OCaml site:          http://www.camlcity.org

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] OCaml-Java is going alpha, to github
@ 2014-07-15 12:11     ` Peter Zotov
From: Peter Zotov @ 2014-07-15 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: Raoul Duke, OCaml, caml-list-request

On 2014-07-15 13:38, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> Go is in particular interesting because it provides a model of
> lightweight threading that can be backed by multiple cores.

You may want to know that Go is not memory-safe in presence of
race conditions. It uses multi-word fat pointers that cannot be
atomically updated, yet does not globally protect them with a mutex
"for speed", or prevent such updates using the type system.

--
Peter Zotov
sip:whitequark@sipnet.ru

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] OCaml-Java is going alpha, to github
@ 2014-07-15 22:52       ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2014-07-15 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Zotov; +Cc: Raoul Duke, OCaml

Am Dienstag, den 15.07.2014, 16:11 +0400 schrieb Peter Zotov:
> On 2014-07-15 13:38, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> > Go is in particular interesting because it provides a model of
> > lightweight threading that can be backed by multiple cores.
>
> You may want to know that Go is not memory-safe in presence of
> race conditions. It uses multi-word fat pointers that cannot be
> atomically updated, yet does not globally protect them with a mutex
> "for speed", or prevent such updates using the type system.

Hmmm, that just means that the multi-threading is a bit unsafer than in
OCaml. But it is different anyway, e.g. in OCaml sequences of simple
assignments are atomic (although this isn't documented anywhere, afaik
the incrementation of the object ID counter depends on that).

Anyway, it is an experiment only.

@ 2014-07-16  7:44 ` Jacques du Preez
From: Jacques du Preez @ 2014-07-16  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xclerc; +Cc: caml-list