From: "Hezekiah M. Carty" <hez@0ok.org>
To: Philippe Veber <philippe.veber@gmail.com>
Cc: OCaml <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] ocamlbrew
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:36:07 -0500	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:55 AM, Philippe Veber
<philippe.veber@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Hezekiah
>
> I gave it a shot after a new install of debian wheezy, and it went really
> smoothly. The install was not exactly fresh, as I had installed ocaml
> packages first (old reflex), but anyway I found two deps that blocked the
> installation : one on libev-dev (for lwt/utop I suppose) and libpcre3-dev
> (for oasis?). As it's only two, maybe it'd be worth to add them on the
> README.md.

I'm glad ocamlbrew worked well for you.  libev is for Lwt.  PCRE is
for the OCaml PCRE bindings, which are required by oasis.

Thank you for the README suggestion - done and pushed.

> ocamlbrew, combined with odb for installing libraries is obviously a nice
> combo (at least for unix users) and seems less complex than GODI. However I
> believe both tools adopt rather different strategies regarding maintenance.
> GODI is good at updating packages to new versions, but up till now I am not
> sure ocamlbrew/odb can do the same. It seems that with the latter, you'd
> preferably start a new install from scratch rather than trying to find
> what's to be updated and effectively update it. Did I miss something?

This is mostly correct.  ocamlbrew in its current state does not have
any support for in-place OCaml upgrades, and there is a chance that it
never will.  My intent with the tool is to make it easy to build
multiple, parallel versions of OCaml and switch between them.  GODI
can offer the same thing, but as you said with some extra complexity.

GODI does a good job of supporting broad updates, such as moving from
OCaml version X to OCaml version X + 1, bringing all installed
packages with it.  While ocamlbrew does not support updates in that
broad a fashion, odb does have some support for upgrading packages to
newer versions.

> Anyway, thanks for this work, which was useful to me.
> Philippe.

I'm glad you found ocamlbrew useful.

Hez