* [Caml-list] ZeroMQ vs Nanomsg
@ 2016-07-15 10:59 Dario Teixeira
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dario Teixeira @ 2016-07-15 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I'm evaluating ZeroMQ and Nanomsg for the middleware of a distributed
application.  Now, I know both projects have had a fair share of drama
in the past, to the point that it's hard for an outside observer to be
up-to-date on the *current* strengths and weaknesses of each one.
Still,
it's my understanding that though ZeroMQ is more established, Nanomsg
was
developed later by one of the original authors of ZeroMQ, and supposedly
fixes some of the architectural mistakes of ZeroMQ.  To complicate
matters,
Nanomsg's author quit the project a while ago, leaving it in limbo for
a while.  In the meantime, it seems development has picked up again, and
Nanomsg recently had its 1.0 release.

Anyway, I'm sure the picture I painted above is incomplete.  Therefore,
I would be much obliged to hear your opinions and experiences with
either
project.  I will be using the OCaml bindings, obviously, so the maturity
of
the bindings is also a factor.  (On first glance they seem quite
complete
and both offer support for LWT, which is a must.)

Thanks in advance for your time!
Kind regards,
Dario Teixeira

* Re: [Caml-list] ZeroMQ vs Nanomsg
@ 2016-07-15 11:25 ` Simon Cruanes
From: Simon Cruanes @ 2016-07-15 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Teixeira; +Cc: caml-list

I didn't know development of nanomsg had resumed, but it's good news. I
use rgrinberg's onanomsg binding, which works fine for me (although it's
only for a small program), no memleaks, and the API is nice. I think the
bindings are quite mature and rgrinberg is very nice to interact with
;-).

--
Simon Cruanes

http://weusepgp.info/
key 49AA62B6, fingerprint 949F EB87 8F06 59C6 D7D3  7D8D 4AC0 1D08 49AA 62B6

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Caml-list] ZeroMQ vs Nanomsg
@ 2016-07-15 11:37 ` SP
From: SP @ 2016-07-15 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Teixeira; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 11:59:12AM +0100, Dario Teixeira wrote:
>I would be much obliged to hear your opinions and experiences with
>either project.  I will be using the OCaml bindings, obviously, so the
>maturity of the bindings is also a factor.  (On first glance they seem
>quite complete and both offer support for LWT, which is a must.)

What I'm curious about is how interoperable they are. Can one switch
between the two back-ends or bindings? Does either of them "wrap" the
other?

--
    SP

* Re: [Caml-list] ZeroMQ vs Nanomsg
@ 2016-07-15 13:36   ` Dario Teixeira
From: Dario Teixeira @ 2016-07-15 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Cruanes; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

> I didn't know development of nanomsg had resumed, but it's good news. I
> use rgrinberg's onanomsg binding, which works fine for me (although
> it's
> only for a small program), no memleaks, and the API is nice. I think
> the
> bindings are quite mature and rgrinberg is very nice to interact with
> ;-).

Thanks for the feedback!  That's good to hear, as I'm currently leaning
more towards Nanomsg.  Do you also have any positive/negative experience
with ZeroMQ?

Cheers,
Dario

* Re: [Caml-list] ZeroMQ vs Nanomsg
@ 2016-07-15 13:42   ` Dario Teixeira
From: Dario Teixeira @ 2016-07-15 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SP; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

> What I'm curious about is how interoperable they are. Can one switch
> between the two back-ends or bindings? Does either of them "wrap" the
> other?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that
there's no interoperability at all between ZeroMQ and Nanomsg.

Cheers,
Dario

* Re: [Caml-list] ZeroMQ vs Nanomsg
@ 2016-07-15 13:47 ` Hezekiah M. Carty
From: Hezekiah M. Carty @ 2016-07-15 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Teixeira, caml-list

Hello,

I've been using the zeromq bindings for the last six years or so.  zeromq
has been very nice in my experience - excellent documentation and a helpful
community.  The current and past maintainers of the zeromq bindings have
been very easy to work with.  I wrote the Lwt interface for zeromq -
feedback on that piece is welcome.

I started looking at nanomsg shortly before its original author/maintainer
quit the project.  I stopped seriously considering nanomsg for my projects
at that point.  I'm happy to hear that maintenance has been picked back up
though.  And to echo Simon Cruanes's comment, rgrinberg is also very easy
to work with!

Hez

@ 2016-07-15 15:58   ` Dario Teixeira
From: Dario Teixeira @ 2016-07-15 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hezekiah M. Carty; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

> I've been using the zeromq bindings for the last six years or so.
> zeromq has been very nice in my experience - excellent documentation
> and a helpful community.  The current and past maintainers of the
> zeromq bindings have been very easy to work with.  I wrote the Lwt
> interface for zeromq - feedback on that piece is welcome.

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, ZeroMQ has excellent documentation,
which in fact I've used to also learn Nanomsg (there's plenty of
overlap in concepts and patterns).  Nanomsg's docs are unfortunately
a bit lacking, particularly where edge cases and gotchas are concerned.

> I started looking at nanomsg shortly before its original
> author/maintainer quit the project.  I stopped seriously considering
> nanomsg for my projects at that point.  I'm happy to hear that
> maintenance has been picked back up though.  And to echo Simon
> Cruanes's comment, rgrinberg is also very easy to work with!

Did you look at Nanomsg purely out of curiosity, or did it offer
something that you found lacking in ZeroMQ?

Cheers,
Dario

* Re: [Caml-list] ZeroMQ vs Nanomsg
@ 2016-07-15 16:22     ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2016-07-15 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Teixeira; +Cc: Hezekiah M. Carty, caml-list

Le vendredi, 15 juillet 2016 à 16:58, Dario Teixeira a écrit :
> Did you look at Nanomsg purely out of curiosity, or did it offer
> something that you found lacking in ZeroMQ?

This question is not for me but I'll respond anyways… What I personally found interesting in nanomsg was the fact that the original author wanted to standardize the protocols in rfcs [1]. This would have allowed for pure OCaml implementations without having to reverse engineer the C one and would have provided interesting, standardized, alternatives to sockets APIs to do networking (for example in MirageOS contexts).

Unfortunately the new maintainer said he was not interested in doing this [2] (which is a pity since he's also the author of a pure go implementation of the protocols).

Best,

Daniel

[1] https://github.com/nanomsg/nanomsg/tree/master/rfc
[2] http://www.freelists.org/post/nanomsg/Coming-back-as-BDFL,7