Here is another kind of example I've boiled down as much as I could (it is somewhat related to the Leibniz equality). Oleg Kiselyov and Jeremy Yallop ( http://okmij.org/ftp/ML/first-class-modules/ ) have noticed that first-class modules could be leveraged to produce an variant of the Finally Tagless approach (which consist in replacing the use of a gadt by a typeclass signature, in Haskell, to denote expressions). I like to call it Initially Tagless. The idea is to start with a signature representing your language, a field for each language construct. Here, the language admits two types (int and bool) and one operation on each: module type S = sig type 'a t val int : int -> int t val bool : bool -> bool t val (+) : int t -> int t -> int t val if_ : bool t -> 'a t -> 'a t -> 'a t end An interpreter for the language is a module of type S. The type of expressions [a Expr.t] is, then, defined as that of things which, for any interpretor X, can be interpreted into an [a X.t]. Here goes the code in OCaml 3.12, you might notice it is very repetitive: module Expr : sig include S module Interp (X:S) : sig val x : 'a t -> 'a X.t end end = struct module type T = sig type a module Interp (X:S) : sig val x : a X.t end end type 'a t = (module T with type a = 'a) module Interp (X:S) = struct let x (type w) (e:w t) : w X.t= let module E = (val e : T with type a = w) in let module IE = E.Interp(X) in IE.x end let int x = let module M = struct type a = int module Interp (X:S) = struct let x = X.int x end end in (module M : T with type a = int) let bool x = let module M = struct type a = bool module Interp (X:S) = struct let x = X.bool x end end in (module M : T with type a = bool) let (+) n p = let module M = struct type a = int module Interp (X:S) = struct let x = let module MN = (val n : T with type a=int) in let module IN = MN.Interp(X) in let n' = IN.x in let module MP = (val p : T with type a=int) in let module IP = MN.Interp(X) in let p' = IP.x in X.(n'+p') end end in (module M : T with type a = int) let if_ (type w) b (t:w t) (e:w t) = let module M = struct type a = w module Interp (X:S) = struct let x = let module MB = (val b : T with type a=bool) in let module IB = MB.Interp(X) in let b' = IB.x in let module MT = (val t : T with type a=w) in let module IT = MT.Interp(X) in let t' = IT.x in let module ME = (val e : T with type a=w) in let module IE = ME.Interp(X) in let e' = IE.x in X.if_ b' t' e' end end in (module M : T with type a = w) end My proposition of syntax aims at dealing gracefully with some of the repetitive parts. It would look something like : module Expr : sig include S val interp : (X:S) => 'a t -> 'a X.t end = struct module type T = sig type a val interp : (X:S) => a X.t end type 'a t = (module T with type a = 'a) let interp {{X:S}} (type w) (e:w t) : w X.t = let module E = (val e : T with type a = w) in E.interp {{X}} let int x = let module M = struct type a = int let interp {{X:S}} = X.int x end in (module M : T with type a = int) let bool x = let module M = struct type a = bool let interp {{X:S}} = X.bool x end in (module M : T with type a = bool) let (+) n p = let module M = struct type a = int let interp {{X:S}} = let module MN = (val n : T with type a=int) in let module MP = (val p : T with type a=int) in X.((MN.interp {{X:S}})+(MP.interp {{X:S}}) end end in (module M : T with type a = int) let if_ (type w) b (t:w t) (e:w t) = let module M = struct type a = w let interp {{X:S}} = let module MB = (val b : T with type a=bool) in let module MT = (val t : T with type a=w) in let module ME = (val e : T with type a=w) in X.if_ (MB.interp{{X:S}}) (MT.interp{{X:S}}) (ME.interp{{X:S}}) end in (module M : T with type a = w) end The code could be shrinked even more dramatically if we were allowed to define [Expr.t] directly as type 'a t = (X:S) => 'a t But I doubt it would be easy to make that possible. In my proposition, this is the same as type 'a t = (X:S) => 'b t Which is unfortunate, but at least is quite compatible with how first-class modules are dealt with in the current versions of OCaml. -- Arnaud