From: Ashish Agarwal <agarwal1975@gmail.com>
To: Wojciech Meyer <wojciech.meyer@gmail.com>
Cc: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org>,
	Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer@googlemail.com>,
	caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaml wiki
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 21:49:44 -0500	[thread overview]

A wiki could be good but I strongly encourage any such effort to integrate
with ocaml.org, and to carefully weigh the pros and cons. Wikis make
contributions easier, but you need someone to keep the content organized
and do some basic quality control. Also, the structure of the documentation
is not very customizable. The question is whether pushing to a git repo
(the current contribution method for ocaml.org) is so much harder (given
that we're all programmers after all).

The tutorials page is a good candidate for converting to wiki format, but
remember that a wiki is where all this content came from, and it eventually
got out of date. We could create wiki.ocaml.org, but then the question is
how to make it integrate nicely with the rest of the pages that don't fit
the wiki model.

Finally, which wiki software to use? None are very good, and who amongst us
is keen to hack into php code. My initial goal for ocaml.org was to use
ocsigen and ocsimore, but there is a big upfront cost in getting such a
site implemented.

Whatever the community decides, we can support and integrate with ocaml.org.
My only strong opinion is please don't build a separate unrelated site,
with duplication of effort and and fragmentation of content.