Regarding the need for a wiki, why not create a new Parallel Programming page under tutorials [1]. A "tutorial" can be as simple as listing the libraries available and a brief description about the high level goal of each. Note ocaml.org is now almost entirely written in Markdown. A new page can be written quite easily, see for example The Basics tutorial [2]. [1] http://ocaml.org/learn/tutorials/ [2] https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml.org/blob/master/site/learn/tutorials/basics.md On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote: > On 8 Jan 2014, at 22:13, Yotam Barnoy wrote: > > Regarding a place to share ideas, it seems like it would be very useful to > have an official ocaml wiki. Haskell has this and it's a huge help. In > fact, I would say haskell development would be greatly hampered without it. > There's so much information that's relevant to more than one library ie. > doesn't fit in any particular library's documentation. It wouldn't be too > hard to set up a wikimedia instance on ocaml.org, would it? Alternatively > it should be pretty easy to set up something on wikia. This wiki would also > be a great place to describe the conceptual implementation of the compiler, > which is again what haskell has. > > > We do have a fledgling service for "domain-specific" conversations, in the > form of lists.ocaml.org. In fact, we set up a "wg-parallel" mailing list > last year, but never announced it for various reasons. This seems like a > good time to advertise its existence: > > http://lists.ocaml.org/pipermail/wg-parallel/ > > (note that if anyone else would like an archived list on lists.ocaml.orgfor a project or community group, then please do drop a line to > infrastructure@lists.ocaml.org to request it) > > Regarding other services on ocaml.org, we (the "infrastructure team") are > happy to set them up, but please bear in mind that they all come with a > maintenance burden. Dealing with security issues, backups, software > updates, outages all take up time, and I confess a preference for sipping > martinis and hacking on code instead of sysadmin work. Jeremy and Leo got > tired of waiting for me to set up the wiki too, and started: > https://github.com/ocamllabs/compiler-hacking/wiki > > If you follow the links through there, there is a 'compiler internals' > page that would be good to contribute to, and you (or anyone else) is > extremely welcome to add more information on topics such as parallel > programming libraries there. I think we could have a decent stab at a > wiki.ocaml.org by backing it against a GitHub repository, and not have to > do any special hosting for it at all (the OPAM web pages work in a similar > fashion at the moment). But for now though, I'd recommend focussing on the > problem at hand (parallel programming) and getting some information down > somewhere, and less on the lack of a central wiki. > > -anil > > _______________________________________________ > Infrastructure mailing list > Infrastructure@lists.ocaml.org > http://lists.ocaml.org/listinfo/infrastructure > >