* [Caml-list] CAML resources for mathematicians / French agrégation
@ 2014-10-13 14:32 Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
From: Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE @ 2014-10-13 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear friends,

First, I would like to congratulate the community and the INRIA for
their hard work around CAML

I am a French student preparing for competitive examination (agrégation
in Mathematics) alone (that's the trick) and I am looking for resources
around algorithm, automata, calculus and logic with examples in CAML.

As some of you ARE mathematicians, I prefer to ask on the mailing list
whether you are aware of CALM resources for French
licence/maîtrise/classe préparatoire: any book, exercice or software
that I could study in deep.

It's a pity that I missed the CAML meeting in Paris in July, too bad, I
would have loved a discussion with you. So now let's go and play with
CAML and make it at the exam.

Any information are welcome.

Kind regards,
Kellogs

* Re: [Caml-list] CAML resources for mathematicians / French agrégation
@ 2014-10-13 15:11 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2014-10-13 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE; +Cc: caml users

There is a surprisingly-well-maintained list of book available at:
  http://caml.inria.fr/about/books.en.html

The only book that (1) would be relevant to you and (2) I have
experience with is "Nouveaux exercices d'algorithmique", by Michel
Quercia, which I warmly recommend. I haven't had the luck to get my
hands on Sylvain Conchon and Jean-Cristophe Filliâtre's "Apprendre à
programmer avec OCaml", but I'm confident it is excellent -- and goes
far deeper than its beginner-oriented description suggests.

Among English-language books, I'm not sure which one would fit the
bill of being math-oriented enough; maybe John Whitington's new book,
"More OCaml: Algorithms, Methods, and Diversions".

If you are also interested in programming language theory (but I'm
afraid that's quite far from the agrégation), you may like Didier
Rémy's online lecture notes, "Using, Understanding, and Unraveling the
OCaml Language"
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/u3-ocaml/index.html

@ 2014-10-13 15:33   ` Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
From: Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE @ 2014-10-13 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Dear Gabriel,

> There is a surprisingly-well-maintained list of book available at:
>   http://caml.inria.fr/about/books.en.html

Thanks for pointing out this page.

> The only book that (1) would be relevant to you and (2) I have
> experience with is "Nouveaux exercices d'algorithmique", by Michel
> Quercia, which I warmly recommend. I haven't had the luck to get my
> hands on Sylvain Conchon and Jean-Cristophe Filliâtre's "Apprendre à
> programmer avec OCaml", but I'm confident it is excellent -- and go
> es
> far deeper than its beginner-oriented description suggests.

I just purchased (1) and (2).

> If you are also interested in programming language theory (but I'm
> afraid that's quite far from the agrégation), you may like Didier
> Rémy's online lecture notes, "Using, Understanding, and Unraveling the
> OCaml Language"
> http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/u3-ocaml/index.html

Sure, I will have a deep look at it.

Kind regards and many thanks,

@ 2014-10-13 15:51 ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2014-10-13 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE; +Cc: caml-list

Le lundi, 13 octobre 2014 à 16:32, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE a écrit :

> I am a French student preparing for competitive examination (agrégation
> in Mathematics) alone (that's the trick) and I am looking for resources
> around algorithm, automata, calculus and logic with examples in CAML.

If you broaden your scope to ML languages you may find the following book of interest (I never read it though):

http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jve/HR/

Daniel

* Re: [Caml-list] CAML resources for mathematicians / French agrégation
@ 2014-10-13 18:05     ` Ashish Agarwal
From: Ashish Agarwal @ 2014-10-13 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE; +Cc: caml users