On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Gabriel Scherer wrote: > A nice quality of in-code comments that a video session does not have is > locality: the explanations are closed to the explainees, so hopefully they > can evolve in synch. Another nice quality (shared with blog posts) is that > it can be proposed by third-parties and crowd-sourced with moderate > efficiency: you can help document the OCaml implementation by sending a > pull-request with comments on the parts you fought to understand. > > This has notably been done by Alain Frisch for the parsetree > representation during the 4.01 development phase, and recently (4.03 > development cycle, GPR#310) in types.mli and typedtree.mli by Frédéric > Bour, Gabriel Radanne and Thomas Refis, with helpful feedback from Alain > Frisch and Jacques Garrigue. > > Anyone can help by submitting their own contribution to > documentation-as-comments. > > This is absolutely true, and I'm extremely grateful to all who commented -- the results are wonderful. The barriers to entry in this case, however, are knowledge, quality and effort. By contrast, Jacques Garrigue (sorry for picking on you Jacques) recording a session off the cuff on his laptop as he casually steps through the code in his editor (he wouldn't even need a webcam) and then uploading it to youtube would be a tremendous resource in and of itself. Another idea is that we develop a protocol for doing precisely this kind of evolutionary crowdsourced commenting, but take the initial barrier out of it. Suppose that we allowed opening PRs on random files in the codebase. I (or others) would ask questions about functions I didn't understand, and other people would step up and explain them. Eventually, there might be some documentation and clarification to add to the code. This would require tolerance of 'unhelpful' and question-based documentation PRs. There might be some very basic questions in there. We could add a specific tag, so these PRs aren't closed prematurely (they could take a while). Would that be ok? -Yotam > On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Goswin von Brederlow > wrote: > >> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:04:17PM -0500, Yotam Barnoy wrote: >> > While thinking about the best way to learn the new Flambda code in the >> > minimal amount of time, I thought to myself, "wouldn't it be amazing to >> > have Pierre Chambart and Mark Shinwell just do a video walkthrough of >> their >> > code". And then I thought about the rest of the codebase, about Jacques >> > Garrigue doing a walkthrough of the typechecker code, and each expert(s) >> > talking about the parts they know really well, and about how amazing it >> > would be if we had this resource on youtube. It would be the ultimate >> form >> > of documentation by the foremost experts on aspects OCaml, welcoming >> > programmers to contribute to the OCaml compiler in the easiest way >> possible. >> > >> > A step further would be if this was done on Twitch or some similar live >> > broadcasting platform, so people could actually ask live questions as >> the >> > session took place. The resulting video would be posted to youtube. >> > >> > What do you guys think? >> > >> > -Yotam >> >> I would watch that. >> >> MfG >> Goswin >> >> -- >> Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: >> https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list >> Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners >> Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >> > >