* [Caml-list] [ANN] ppx_deriving 0.1
@ 2014-07-23  9:55 Peter Zotov
From: Peter Zotov @ 2014-07-23  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I'm glad to announce an initial release of ppx_deriving,
a modular syntax extension for type-driven code generation.
It will be shortly available in OPAM.

I will introduce ppx_deriving with an example:

# #require "ppx_deriving";;
# type file = {
   kind : [ `File | `Dir ];
   name : string;
   perm : int [@printer fun fmt -> Format.fprintf fmt "0o%03o"];
} [@@deriving Show, Eq];;
type file = { kind : [ `Dir | `File ]; name : bytes; perm : int; }
val pp_file : Format.formatter -> file -> unit = <fun>
val show_file : file -> bytes = <fun>
val equal_file : file -> file -> bool = <fun>
# print_endline (show_file { kind = `Dir; name = "bin"; perm = 0o755
});;
{ kind = `Dir; name = "bin"; perm = 0o755 }
- : unit = ()

A more thorough description is available in README[1].

While I intend this release to primarily serve as a preview for
the community and a means to gather feedback, it is fully usable
and documented. Some of the planned features (marked "TBD" in README)
are not yet implemented.

I hope that ppx_deriving can serve as a future replacement to both
ocsigen's deriving and JaneStreet's type_conv. If you are responsible
for these libraries, please get in touch. The OCaml ecosystem would
benefit from a single type-driven code generation mechanism.

I welcome any comments.

   [1]: https://github.com/whitequark/ppx_deriving/

--
Peter Zotov