OK the other option I was hoping for was that I was missing a simple solution, and one was provided, so thank you! On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 9:35 AM, Gabriel Scherer wrote: > I don't follow. Doesn't > > module MakeBetter (K : sig include Map.OrderedType val show : t -> > string end) = > struct > include Map.Make(K) > let show show_val m = List.show (Pair.show K.show show_val) (bindings > m) > end > > suit your need? > > The extensibility problem I see is that you cannot use the map's > internal representation because it is an abstract type -- which > prevents from efficiently implementing certain operations -- but this > is unrelated to being a functor. > > On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Yotam Barnoy > wrote: > > One problem I've commonly encountered in OCaml is the inability to expand > > the interface of functors after they've been created (I'm not talking > about > > post-application). For example, Map.Make in the stdlib takes an > OrderedType > > module which contains only the compare function. What happens if I want > to > > add something to this interface, such as a show function? I have to copy > the > > whole implementation of Map.Make into my own file to modify it. Compare > this > > to the ability to 'include' a regular module and just add the new > > functionality, and to take the type of a module and expand that type as > > needed. Functors are severely lacking in this regard. > > > > What do people think of this idea -- of allowing functors to be expanded? > > Ideally, expanding a functor would allow for both replacing its argument > > type (as in the example I gave) and for adding a second/third functor > > argument type (so Map.Make(OrderedType) would become > > Map.Make(OrderedType)(Show). > > > > -Yotam >