OK, I was just making some suggestions based on experience I have with haskell's deriving, which I use all the time, and trying to bring as much of that ease of use as possible to ocaml. Any idea where I can find some info on ocaml's upcoming implicits? A google search was not particularly helpful. On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Peter Zotov wrote: > On 2014-07-23 18:36, Yotam Barnoy wrote: > >> Very nice. >> >> I've never used any of the deriving extensions before, but I have an >> aesthetic suggestions. >> > > I humbly suggest trying to use it before proposing aesthetic changes. > > > Would it perhaps make sense to generate a >> module per derived type? For example a type t would generate a module >> T_ (the underscore or any other suffix would reduce mixups with >> pre-existing modules). You could then use code such as >> >> 'if T_.(a = b && b = c) ...' >> >> or 'T_.show x ...' >> >> which allows you to keep the infix notation for = which is important >> IMO. >> >> You could even generate T_ as having internal Eq, Ord, and Show >> modules (as requested by the user), which would be included in the T_ >> module. This would allow you to easily pass them as first class >> modules to functions accepting Eq, Ord or Show signatures. >> > > I believe this is best left to the upcoming implicits, which will > hopefully be merged soon. > > I have based the current design on existing patterns across OCaml > ecosystem; I don't want to change the way people structure their > modules, I want to reduce the amount of boilerplate to write. > > > -- > Peter Zotov > sip:whitequark@sipnet.ru >