* [Caml-list] What is the meaning behind the "labl" prefix?
@ 2012-08-21 21:10 Anthony Tavener
From: Anthony Tavener @ 2012-08-21 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I've sometimes wondered this... but where does "Labl" come from in
LablGL/TK/GTK and now Lablwebkit?

OCaml bindings to libraries... but I'm not sure how to come to that prefix,
even invoking my limited French. Maybe it's obvious, but I've failed to see
it. Any hints? :)

* Re: [Caml-list] What is the meaning behind the "labl" prefix?
@ 2012-08-21 21:13 ` Raoul Duke
From: Raoul Duke @ 2012-08-21 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml

it was a fore-running harbinger of:
twittr
flickr
etc.
http://rekkerd.org/whats-up-with-all-these-missing-vowels/

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Anthony Tavener
<anthony.tavener@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've sometimes wondered this... but where does "Labl" come from in
> LablGL/TK/GTK and now Lablwebkit?
>
> OCaml bindings to libraries... but I'm not sure how to come to that prefix,
> even invoking my limited French. Maybe it's obvious, but I've failed to see
> it. Any hints? :)

* AW: [Caml-list] What is the meaning behind the "labl" prefix?
@ 2012-08-21 21:19 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2012-08-21 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Tavener; +Cc: caml-list

Am 21.08.2012 23:10:56 schrieb(en) Anthony Tavener:
> I've sometimes wondered this... but where does "Labl" come from in
> LablGL/TK/GTK and now Lablwebkit?
>
> OCaml bindings to libraries... but I'm not sure how to come to that
> prefix,
> even invoking my limited French. Maybe it's obvious, but I've failed
> to see
> it. Any hints? :)

Labl is from "label" in the same way as caml is from "camel"... This is
just a silly joke. The Labl* libraries were the first using labeled
arguments, and were origally written for a branch of ocaml implementing
these labels for the first time, called "Objective Labl". This branch
was later merged with trunk.

Gerd

PS. Of course, caml is an acronym and has nothing to do with camels.
Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.

* Re: [Caml-list] What is the meaning behind the "labl" prefix?
@ 2012-08-21 21:28   ` Anthony Tavener
From: Anthony Tavener @ 2012-08-21 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: caml-list

Ah! Okay, I guess I should have realized... just how I pronounce it anyway:
Label.

Well, thanks. One less mystery in my world. :)

@ 2012-08-22 14:33     ` Jun Furuse
From: Jun Furuse @ 2012-08-22 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Tavener; +Cc: caml-list, Gerd Stolpmann

The first "labl" implmentation was done by me, labl-light, an extnsion of
caml-light with labeled argumnts for my master thesis. I named it labl with
serious respct to Caml community. Not a joke. The real silly part is that
the implmentation was lost due to a hard driv crash.

Jun Furus

@ 2012-08-22 15:45       ` Anthony Tavener
From: Anthony Tavener @ 2012-08-22 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Furuse; +Cc: caml-list

That's a very sensible naming. Then evolution takes hold. ;) Thanks for the
history!

@ 2012-08-22 16:11         ` Adrien
From: Adrien @ 2012-08-22 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Tavener; +Cc: caml-list

On 22/08/2012, Anthony Tavener <anthony.tavener@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's a very sensible naming. Then evolution takes hold. ;) Thanks for the
> history!

As far as I'm concerned, I've chosen "lablwebkit" simply because there
was already "lablgtk". I could have gone for "lablgtk(2)-webkit" too
but it's longer. :P

Oh, and except lablsoup at some point in the future. :D
(although, this one is so ugly that I might think about it again)

--
Adrien Nader