From: Anthony Tavener <anthony.tavener@gmail.com>
To: SP <sp@orbitalfox.com>
Cc: Andreas Rossberg <rossberg@mpi-sws.org>,
	"caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Discourse instance for the OCaml community? (was: how to encourage adoption of OCaml?)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 06:25:57 -0600	[thread overview]

I agree that email/list is better for the reasons Andreas listed...

However, one issue (pro and con) with the mailing list is that posting has
a barrier-to-entry with the knowledge that your are broadcasting to many
people. This is great for avoiding trivia, and keeping the signal-to-noise
ratio high...

But it might be good to have a place for more trivial or narrow-audience
topics. So people can banter about their projects or problems they
encounter which they don't deem worthy of trumpeting "Here ye! Here ye!"
for. Sometimes I want to waste some time reading about OCaml stuff... but
reddit and email have nothing new. :) But I'm also glad these aren't choked
with random crap either. A forum-like format reduces the
wideband-broadcast, providing some compartmentalization, and the step for a
reader to actively go looking. And if something important/interesting to
the wider community flares up in such a place, *then* it can be referenced
on this list, or reddit.

I, too, would not want to fragment this tiny community. But we seem to lack
a place for more voluminous banter, which might have the opposite effect:
of livening things up.

I'm not arguing for Discourse necessarily (I haven't looked into it at
all), but in general: that a forum might be a useful part of
community-building. Or do we have something already which I've missed?