I agree that email/list is better for the reasons Andreas listed... However, one issue (pro and con) with the mailing list is that posting has a barrier-to-entry with the knowledge that your are broadcasting to many people. This is great for avoiding trivia, and keeping the signal-to-noise ratio high... But it might be good to have a place for more trivial or narrow-audience topics. So people can banter about their projects or problems they encounter which they don't deem worthy of trumpeting "Here ye! Here ye!" for. Sometimes I want to waste some time reading about OCaml stuff... but reddit and email have nothing new. :) But I'm also glad these aren't choked with random crap either. A forum-like format reduces the wideband-broadcast, providing some compartmentalization, and the step for a reader to actively go looking. And if something important/interesting to the wider community flares up in such a place, *then* it can be referenced on this list, or reddit. I, too, would not want to fragment this tiny community. But we seem to lack a place for more voluminous banter, which might have the opposite effect: of livening things up. I'm not arguing for Discourse necessarily (I haven't looked into it at all), but in general: that a forum might be a useful part of community-building. Or do we have something already which I've missed? On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 4:47 AM, SP wrote: > On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 09:21:48AM +0200, Andreas Rossberg wrote: > >> To paraphrase Dijkstra, IMHO email and mailing lists are an improvement >> over more “modern” forums in almost every way, once you get past the >> “flashiness” thing: >> - participation without having to constantly log into yet another account >> (with potential tracking), >> - all communication through the same tool/UI (that actually works), easy >> cross-communication and cross-quoting, archiving in one place, etc >> [..] >> - no annoying gamification, >> - open, standardised and guaranteed to still be around in 5 or 10 years >> from now. >> Also, IME, email generally encourages a slower, more considerate and more >> comprehensive discussion style. >> > > Exactly. Earlier in the discussion I expressed a similar opinion (didn't > expand as much) but it was ignored and they are plodding on. I hope your > message won't be ignored either. > > Discourse has an email gateway, but last time I looked, it wasn’t deemed >> very usable. >> > > Mailman 3 adds a web interface for those who prefer it. I think the > OCaml lists at Inria don't use Mailman though. > > It would be sad to fragment the (not so huge) OCaml community just to >> hop onto the latest train in forum fashion, be it Discourse or the next >> thing. I’m sure we would lose some people on the way (happened with >> Rust). I’m less sure about the people we gonna win over that way. >> > > I concur. Again, I hope this time around this case won't be ignored. > > -- > SP > > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >