This is a bit of a pickle. For Real World OCaml to be a great book for OCaml almost requires Core to become the stdlib. Core is a pretty nice body of work, but I'm not a user of it myself, and I've been unable to decide if I'd like it as the standard library. There is a very strong flavor to the style. I suppose the official standard library has a bit of an "exceptional" flavor, but aside from that I feel it doesn't impose anything. Jean, for you example, the List.iter line using the standard library would be: List.iter (fun x -> sum := !sum + x) list; This kind of confusion is certainly not good for learning a language though! To resolve this, we need to clone a single person three times and send each into an alternate future: one continuing with standard library as-is, one with Core, and one with Batteries. Then bring them back so they can argue amongst each other about what was better. :) On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Jean Saint-Remy wrote: > Hi, > > I've been working out some of the examples in the > https://realworldocaml.org/v1/en/html/a-guided-tour.html, which does > utilize JaneStreet 'core' library. The new ocaml website is very > impressive, as it allows you to dive right in into very fascinating > idiomatic ocaml expressions. Just launching ocaml toplevel though is not > enough. > > let sum list = > let sum = ref 0 in > List.iter list ~f:(fun x -> sum := !sum + x); > !sum ;; > -: Error: The function applied to this argument has type 'a list -> unit > This argument cannot be applied with label ~f > > Jean > > > On Saturday, November 9, 2013 5:07 AM, Gabriel Kerneis < > gabriel@kerneis.info> wrote: > On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 07:33:35PM -0800, Jean Saint-Remy wrote: > > I am running ocaml 3.12.1 and getting an error message. Is it an > incompatible > > version error or a missing 'core' module? > > Since you mention 'core', are you learning OCaml with "Real-World OCaml" > (and > hence trying to use JaneStreet's Core library instead of the standard one)? > That would explain the discrepancy you are seeing. > > > Best, > > -- > Gabriel > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs > > > >