Hello, Playing around with a reduced version of a dynamic types, I ran into some type errors, and I feel that I'd love to understand more about the way the inference work: type _ ty = Int : int ty | String : string ty module H : sig type t val ty : t ty end = struct type t = int let ty = Int end (* from now, trying various implementation for [f] *) let f : H.t -> int = match H.ty with | Int -> (fun (a : H.t) -> (a : int)) | _ -> assert false ;; Error: This expression has type H.t but an expression was expected of type int let f : H.t -> int = fun (a : H.t) -> match H.ty with | Int -> (a : int) | _ -> assert false ;; Error: This expression has type H.t but an expression was expected of type int let f : H.t -> int = let aux : type a. a ty -> a -> int = function | Int -> (fun a -> a) | _ -> assert false in aux H.ty ;; (* val f : H.t -> int = *) I can't quite come up with a clear mental model of why in-lining the pattern matching in the first versions of [f]t would not type check. I tried adding some more type coercions without great success. I'd be very grateful to get some feed back about this restriction. Thanks, Mathieu