* [Caml-list] Absolute path in the module system
@ 2012-12-04 20:43 bob zhang
From: bob zhang @ 2012-12-04 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Dear List,
    Is there a way to express the absolute module path?
    For example,
       Pervasives.(+) --> actually I want it to be absolute Pervasives
module, not shadowed by any 'open' statements?
    Is there a way to do that? if not, is there any deep reason for
not doing this?

Thanks

--
Regards
-- Bob

* Re: [Caml-list] Absolute path in the module system
@ 2012-12-04 22:59 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2012-12-04 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bob zhang; +Cc: Caml List

As far as I know, the answer is that you can't do that. In fact I
don't even know how you would do that: there is a tension between
powerful naming constructs and stability of references, and I don't
know how you would provide global references in a satisfying way.

This is a classic problem of hygienic macro systems. They are supposed
to protect two different aspects of bound identifiers "hygiene":
- new definition inside macros do not shadow identifiers in scope at
macro invocation/expansion time (it is possible, but not simple, to
emulate this property with careful preservation of scope during
macro-expansion)
- identifiers referenced by macro definitions are not shadowed by
identifier added in scope after that, before macro
invocation/expansion time; this corresponds to your question and I
don't think how you would solve that with a static expansion scheme.

If I remember correctly, the solution of hygienic macro systems is, in
effect, to do a preprocessing step of the pre-expansion source, to
enforce the convention that now name is bound twice in the same scope
by appending unique suffixes to identifiers.

@ 2012-12-04 23:38   ` bob zhang
From: bob zhang @ 2012-12-04 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Caml List

Hi,
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Gabriel Scherer
<gabriel.scherer@gmail.com> wrote:
> - identifiers referenced by macro definitions are not shadowed by
> identifier added in scope after that, before macro
> invocation/expansion time; this corresponds to your question and I
> don't think how you would solve that with a static expansion scheme.
Yes, that's my concern
> If I remember correctly, the solution of hygienic macro systems is, in
> effect, to do a preprocessing step of the pre-expansion source, to
> enforce the convention that now name is bound twice in the same scope
> by appending unique suffixes to identifiers.
Can you elaborate on that?

I don't see the problems with absolute module path, one simple
solution is to delete the grammar
of 'open statement and local open statements', then for a single
compilation unit, I can figure out the
precise module path here, but this is not  a beautiful solution.

Thanks

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 9:43 PM, bob zhang <bobzhang1988@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear List,
>>     Is there a way to express the absolute module path?
>>     For example,
>>        Pervasives.(+) --> actually I want it to be absolute Pervasives
>> module, not shadowed by any 'open' statements?
>>     Is there a way to do that? if not, is there any deep reason for
>> not doing this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Regards