From: bob zhang <bobzhang1988@gmail.com>
To: oleg@okmij.org
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] Re: ANN: Brand-new BER MetaOCaml for OCaml 4.00.1
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 09:11:14 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM, <oleg@okmij.org> wrote:

> >   Currently metaocaml does not support native code, but it seems that the
> > patch only installs ocamlc, is it possible to get ocamlc.opt installed as
> > well? (not the ocamlopt.opt) ocamlbuild is not installed either. It would
> > be even nicer that ocamlopt.opt could be installed without supporting
> > metaocaml, otherwise I have to switch between different compilers from
> time
> > to time.
>
> Yes, it is possible. It is possible almost immediately but I just had
> an idea how to do it much better. If works out it will bring essentially
> native metaocaml. I will need time to check it though... Well, better
> is the enemy of the good.
>
> If you want ocamlopt urgently (without
> using brackets and escapes) I can make a patch easily -- or tell you one
> line to add to one file. Namely, to the file
> asmcomp/cmmgen.ml add at the line 1713 (at the end of the function
> emit_constant_field) the following single line:
>   | Const_csp_value _  -> assert false
>
> Yes, I understand it saves  a lot of time to not building something
necessary when do the compiler-hacking, but it would be nice for the user
who try the patch to  see minimum surprise. Would you mind release a new
patch which contains everything except that ocamlc, ocaml byte runtime is
patched? That would be really helpful for other people to give a try as
well.

> After that, do make ocamlopt followed by make install. You get
> ocamlopt that, as a side benefit, understands the let! monadic
> notation (which never made it to the official version, but seems quite
> handy).
>
> Monadic notation is fine, since Camlp4/Fan interacts with metaocaml only
in the Ast level

Thanks

--
Regards