* [Caml-list] [ANN] Core Suite 109.08.00 released
@ 2013-02-08 16:13 Jeremie Dimino
From: Jeremie Dimino @ 2013-02-08 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, ocaml-core

Another email to announce the 109.08.00 release of the Core
suite. Amongst other things this new release includes the patdiff tool
(which we used to distribute in the past); a diff-like program trying
to improve the output.  You can see an example here:

  http://janestreet.github.com/patdiff.html

Files and documentation are available on our website and all packages
are in opam:

  https://ocaml.janestreet.com/ocaml-core/109.08.00/individual/
  https://ocaml.janestreet.com/ocaml-core/109.08.00/doc/

This release also fixes a few build issues with OSX.

Full changelog since 109.07.00:

- Async_extra:
  - Added module `Async.Command`
    This is `Core.Command` with additional async functions.  In particular
    it contains a function `async_basic` that is exactly the same as
    `Core.Command.basic`, except that the function it wraps returns
    `unit Deferred.t`, instead of `unit`.  `async_basic` will also start the
    async scheduler before the wrapped function is run, and will stop the
    scheduler when the wrapped function returns.
- Async_unix:
  - Added module `Async.Process`
    This is a new module for creating and dealing with child processes.
  - For `Writer.save`, replaced the `temp_prefix` argument with `temp_file`.
  - Added `Ivar.invariant` function.
  - Added value `Scheduler.fold_fields`
    This lets one fold over the fields in the scheduler, eliminates an
    annoying place in catalog browser that reached into the internals of
    async to compute the sizes of the scheduler fields
- Core:
  - Cleaned up and updated the `README`.
  - Changed executables to enable backtraces if `OCAMLRUNPARAM` is not set.
  - Changed `Command` so that executables show build info and version info
    This happens when an executatble is called as:

      foo.exe version

    Before this change, rather than display build info, executables
    would display the not-so-helpful:

    (no option given - printing version)
  - Added back `Float` rounding functions with a hardcoded direction.
  - Exposed `with bin_io` and `with compare` for the =sexp_bool= type.
  - Added value `Core.Never_returns.sexp_of_t`.
  - Added values `Or_error.tag{,_arg}`
    These are analogous to `Error` functions of the same name.
  - Added functor `Sexpable.Of_sexpable`
    This is for serializing values of one type as though it were some
    other isomorphic type.
  - Added module `Backtrace.Exn`
    This exposes OCaml stdlib's `Printexc` functions for backtraces.
  - Added module `Flags`
    This implements Unix-style sets of flags that are represented as an
    `int` with various bits set, one bit for each flag, e.g.,
    `Linux_ext.Epoll.Flag`.
  - Added module `Uuid`
    This module implements universally unique identifiers based on version
    3 of the UUID specification.  It used to be in `Core_extended=`
  - Added module `Type_equal`, which defines the "equality" GADT.
- Type_conv:
  - Fixed type_conv to stop dropping parens in arguments such as:

      type t = {
        a : int with default(1), sexp_drop_if(fun x -> (x + 1) * 2 = 4)
      } with sexp

If you don't see the changes you submitted they are on their way for
the next release.

--
Jeremie Dimino, for the Core team

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Core Suite 109.08.00 released
@ 2013-02-08 16:21 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2013-02-08 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremie Dimino; +Cc: caml-list, ocaml-core

Patdiff looks nice. Could you comment on its portability? I glanced at
the code and I spotted some possibly unixy things (eg. "/dev/null").
In which environments is it expected to work (possibly with degraded
options)?

@ 2013-02-08 16:43   ` Jeremie Dimino
From: Jeremie Dimino @ 2013-02-08 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: caml-list, ocaml-core

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Gabriel Scherer
<gabriel.scherer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Patdiff looks nice. Could you comment on its portability? I glanced at
> the code and I spotted some possibly unixy things (eg. "/dev/null").
> In which environments is it expected to work (possibly with degraded
> options)?

It has been tested on Linux and OSX. Right now there might already be
issues with compiling Core in other environments, so I wouldn't be
very confident about portability. For example I tested this week on
FreeBSD and the C stubs failed to build, but it should be easy to fix.
We'll try to improve this for future releases. Windows support should
be possible too with more work.

--
Jeremie