* [Caml-list] [ANN] Core Suite 109.58.00
@ 2014-01-03 15:42 Jeremie Dimino
From: Jeremie Dimino @ 2014-01-03 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I am pleased to announce the 109.58.00 release of the Core suite.

Starting from 109.55.00, core libraries contain inline benchmark. It
is now possible to run them:

    echo 'let () = Inline_benchmarks.Runner.main ~libname:"core_kernel"' >
bench.ml
    ocamlfind ocamlopt -thread -linkpkg -linkall -package
str,core_kernel,core_bench.inline_benchmarks bench.ml -o bench
    ./bench -benchmarks-runner

Replace core_kernel by the library you want to run benchmarks
for. Currently only core and core_kernel contain inline benchmark.

In this release the following packages were upgraded:

- async
- async_extra
- async_inotify
- async_kernel
- async_parallel
- async_unix
- core
- core_bench
- core_extended
- core_kernel
- jenga
- sexplib

Files and documentation for this release are available on our
website and all packages are in opam:

  https://ocaml.janestreet.com/ocaml-core/109.58.00/individual/
  https://ocaml.janestreet.com/ocaml-core/109.58.00/doc/

Here is list of changes for this version:

# 109.58.00

## async_extra

- Changed `Cpu_usage` to use `Core.Percent` instead of `float` where
  appropriate.
- Made `Bus.unsubscribe` check that the subscriber is subscribed to
  the given bus.
- Made `Log.t` support `with sexp_of`.
- Fixed `Tcp.on_port 0` to return the port actually being listened on,
  like `Tcp.on_port_chosen_by_os`.

  Previously, a serverlistening on `Tcp.on_port 0` would have its
  `Tcp.Server.listening_on` as `0`, which of course is not the port
  the server is listening on.

## async_kernel

- Renamed the `Async_core` library as `Async_kernel`, to parallel
  `Core_kernel`.

  Someday `Async_core` will depend only on `Core_kernel`, but not yet.
- Added a thread-safe queue of "external actions" that is checked
  after each job.
- Fixed a race condition in `Clock.Event.abort`.

  Here is the race condition:

  * `Clock.Event.at` adds an alarm, its value is a job (let's call it
    job1) with this run function:

    ```ocaml
    let fire () `
      t :` Happened;
      Ivar.fill ready `Happened;
    ```
  * later a job (let's call it job2) aborting the clock event is queued
    in the async scheduler
  * in the same cycle, the `Timing_wheel.advance_clock` fires the
    alarm and job1 scheduled
  * at this point:
    + job1 and job2 are still pending
    + the alarm was removed so it is invalid
    + the clock event is still in the state `Waiting`
  * job2 is executed before job1: the clock event is still in the
    `Waiting` state, so the abort tries to remove the alarm from the
    timing wheel: CRASH

  The bugfix is for `Clock.Event.abort` to check if the alarm has
  already been removed from the timing wheel and if so, don't remove
  it again.
- Changed `Monitor.try_with` when run with `~rest:\`Ignore`, the
  default, so that the created monitor is detached from the monitor
  tree.

  The detached monitor has no parent, rather than being a child of the
  current monitor.  This will eliminate recently observed space leaks
  in `Sequencer_table` and `Throttle`, like:

  ```ocaml
  let leak () =
    let seq = Throttle.Sequencer.create () in
    let rec loop n =
      Throttle.enqueue seq (fun () ->
        loop (n + 1);
        Deferred.unit
      )
      |> don't_wait_for
    in
    loop 0
  ```
- Changed Async's scheduler to pool jobs rather than heap allocate
  them, decreasing the cost of a job by 30-40%.

  Changed the main scheduler queue of jobs to be an `Obj_array.t` that
  is essentially a specialized `Flat_queue` (the specialization was
  necessary for speed).

  Also, cleaned up the scheduler run-job loop.

  With these changes, the cost of a simple job decreases significantly
  (30-40%), across a range of live data sizes.  Here are the
  nanoseconds-per-job numbers for a microbenchmark with the old and
  new approaches.

  ```
  | num live jobs | old ns/job | new ns/job |
  |---------------+------------+------------|
  |             1 |         74 |         53 |
  |             2 |         75 |         47 |
  |             4 |         76 |         41 |
  |             8 |         63 |         39 |
  |            16 |         62 |         38 |
  |            32 |         61 |         37 |
  |            64 |         61 |         37 |
  |           128 |         60 |         37 |
  |           256 |         60 |         38 |
  |           512 |         60 |         38 |
  |          1024 |         60 |         39 |
  |          2048 |         61 |         40 |
  |          4096 |         67 |         41 |
  |          8192 |         65 |         45 |
  |         16384 |         75 |         56 |
  |         32768 |        115 |         67 |
  |         65536 |        171 |        108 |
  |        131072 |        255 |        158 |
  |        262144 |        191 |        130 |
  |        524288 |        216 |        139 |
  |       1048576 |        238 |        152 |
  ```

  See async/bench/nanos\_per\_job.ml for the benchmark.
- Removed `debug_space_leaks` from Async's internals.  It hadn't been
  used in years.

## async_unix

- Improved fairness of the async scheduler with respect to external
  threads, including I/O done in external threads.

  The change is to add a thread-safe queue of "external actions" that
  is checked after each job.

  Previously, when a job given to `In_thread.run` finished,
  `In_thread.run` would take the async lock, fill the result ivar and
  run a cycle.  The problem is that in some situations, due to poor OS
  scheduling, the helper thread never had a chance to grab the lock.
  Now, `In_thread.run` tries to take the lock:

  - if it can it does as before
  - if it can't it enqueues a thunk in the external actions queue and
    wakes up the scheduler

  With this change, the helper thread doing an `In_thread.run` will
  always quickly finish once the work is done, and the async scheduler
  will fill in the result ivar as soon as the current job finishes.
- Fixed `Epoll_file_descr_watcher.invariant` to deal with the timerfd,
  which has the edge-triggered flag set.
- Added `Writer.write_gen`, a generic functor for blitting directly to
  a writer's buffer.

## core

- Added `Debug.should_print_backtrace : bool ref`, to control whether
  `Debug.am*` functions print backtraces.
- Added to `Float` inline benchmarks.
- Moved all of the `Gc` module into `Core_kernel`.

  Part of the `Gc` module used to be in `Core` because it used
  threads.  But it doesn't use threads anymore, so can be all in
  `Core_kernel`.
- Improved `Iobuf` support for copying to/from strings and bigstrings.

  The new modules are `Iobuf.{Consume,Peek}.To_{bigstring,string}`.
  They match a `Blit`-like interface.  We don't yet implement the
  `Blit` interface in all applicable contexts, but do use `Blit.Make`
  and expose some of the operations we want in the forms we expect
  them to take under a `Blit` interface.
- Added `Linux_ext.Timerfd.to_file_descr`.
- Added to `Time.next_multiple` an optional argument to control
  whether the inequality with `after` is strict.
- Added `Time.Zone.local`, a lazily cached `Time.Zone.machine_zone ()`.

  This is the first stage in a plan to make explicit timezones more
  pervasive.  First, they are made more convenient, by replacing the
  relatively wordy `Time.Zone.machine_zone ()` with `Time.Zone.local`.
  This involves making the underlying timezone type lazy.

  The next stage will be to remove `machine_zone` and use
  `Time.Zone.local` everywhere instead.  Then (it is hoped) instead of
  `of_local_whatever`, we just say e.g. `of_date_ofday
  Time.Zone.local` and currently-implicitly-local functions will be
  able to switch over to explicit timezones without becoming too
  verbose.
- Added `Timing_wheel.Alarm.null`.
- Made `Unix.File_descr.t` have `with sexp`.

  Closes janestreet/async_unix#3
- Fixed OpenBSD compilation failures in C stubs.
- Fixed `Lock_file.is_locked` to require read permission, not write
  permission, on the lock file.
- Added to `Unix.mcast_join` an optional `?source:Inet_addr.t` argument.

  From pull-request on bitbucket:

https://bitbucket.org/janestreet/core/pull-request/1/receive-source-specific-multicast/diff

## core_bench

- Added support for saving inline benchmark measurements to tabular
  files for easy loading into Octave.

## core_extended

- Cleaned up the `Stats_reporting` module

## core_kernel

- Moved all of the `Gc` module into `Core_kernel`.

  Part of the `Gc` module used to be in `Core` because it used
  threads.  But it doesn't use threads anymore, so can be all in
  `Core_kernel`.
- Made `Stable.Map` and `Set` have `with compare`.
- Added `String.rev`.

  Closes janestreet/core#16

  We will not add `String.rev_inplace`, as we do not want to encourage
  mutation of strings.
- Made `Univ_map.Key` equivalent to `Type_equal.Id`.
- Added `Univ.view`, which exposes `Univ.t` as an existential, `type t
  = T : 'a Id.t * 'a -> t`.

  Exposing the existential makes it possible to, for example, use
  `Univ_map.set` to construct a `Univ_map.t`from a list of `Univ.t`s.

  This representation is currently the same as the underlying
  representation, but to make changes to the underlying representation
  easier, it has been put in a module `Univ.View`.

--
Jeremie Dimino, for the Core team