2012/1/13 Gerd Stolpmann > Am Freitag, den 13.01.2012, 14:18 +0100 schrieb Stéphane Glondu: > > Le 13/01/2012 12:59, Philippe Veber a écrit : > > > Debian and Ubuntu have not so recently switched to multiarch binaries > > > (including libs, see http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation). > > > This is an important change for ocaml C bindings since the libraries > are > > > now to be found in /usr/lib/ instead of /usr/lib. I > > > was just bitten by this, when realizing that the ocaml configure script > > > couldn't find libX11.so and wouldn't install graphics. A similar > problem > > > was handled by the people in charge of debian ocaml packages > > > (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=619344). Now my > > > question is the following: will this evolution be a problem for > GODI/odb > > > packages (and more generally source distribution), and what is the > > > advised fix for it? > > > > My advice would be to rely on pkg-config (a kind of ocamlfind for C > > libraries), or similar scripts (pcre-config, etc.) provided by the > > libraries. Otherwise, there is no good, portable (I mean, not > > Debian-specific) way to guess where a library is, and the packager will > > give an explicit path in his call to the configure script in > > debian/rules. By the way, this is what we did for ocaml [1]. > > > > [1] > > > http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-ocaml-maint/packages/ocaml.git;a=commitdiff;h=1db9b654b7d8b702cddb44df5aea1982f3120883 > > In GODI there is a library searcher for libs that do not support > pkg-config et al. It just tries a list of typical paths used by various > OS. The method works well if the library is not dependent on other > libraries, and is quite portable. Of course, you cannot be sure to find > the right library if several versions are installed (which is quite > common on non-open-source OS where the developer has to do it on its > own), but otherwise it is good enough for setting a default if the user > does not have special wishes. > > So, e.g. for X11, there is no pkg-config, and GODI falls back to > searching. Btw, we don't rely here on what the Ocaml configure script > finds out, but have our own searcher, simply because this makes it > easier to respect users' wishes. > 'seems like pkg-config was updated: pveber@gesundheit:~/usr/src/ocaml-3.12.1$ pkg-config --libs x11 -lX11