Hi Daniel, I hope I understood your point correctly, but you can already do that : if your repo is accessible via git, http or rsync protocols any user can use it simultaneously with ocamlpro's. opam has no problem handling several repositories and makes a good job of sorting out which repo has the newest version of a package. In practice it works very well. Details can be found there: http://opam.ocamlpro.com/doc/Advanced_Usage.html (see Handling of repositories). cheers, Philippe. 2013/1/18 Daniel Bünzli > Le vendredi, 18 janvier 2013 à 12:27, Anil Madhavapeddy a écrit : > > A certain barrier to entry in the early days isn't a bad thing. Homebrew > seems to cope well enough with this workflow (with over 10,000 forks). > > For now my packages where uploaded by a kind contributor (thanks to him) > but in the future I intend to do so myself and I share Alain Frisch's > sentiment here. > > I also find the github process rather wasteful in terms of energy, > moreover if a submitted package is rejected or if the pull request gets > stuck for a while and I need to provide the package to someone else rapidly > then I'll have to publish it a second time on another repo. > > I think it would be easier to tell packagers to provide their own http > repository and have a simple command in opam that allows to import a > package from one repository in another. > > That way I publish my packages once on a website and it ensures they are > available whether ocamlpro wants them in their repo or not. I notify > ocamlpro's repository maintainer (in a way to be specified by him) of the > existence of the package and he can import it from my repo if he wishes. If > for some reason the package never makes it in ocamlpro's repository, the > end-user can just add my repo to its opam install to get it immediatly. > > This solves a lot of problems very easily, without wasting too much > energy, in a distributed manner and without github in the loop. > > Best, > > Daniel > > > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs