Dear all, This is a rather minor issue, but I was surprised by the following answers of the interpreter: OCaml version 4.00.1 # ignore succ;; Warning 5: this function application is partial, maybe some arguments are missing. - : unit = () # (fun _ -> ()) succ;; - : unit = () I naively used to think the two expressions were equivalent. Reading pervasives.mli, I found that ignore is a primitive: external ignore : 'a -> unit = "%ignore" which means it is treated as a special case. Just for curiosity, what is the rationale for the warning in the first case? Cheers, Philippe.