Hi Hezekiah I gave it a shot after a new install of debian wheezy, and it went really smoothly. The install was not exactly fresh, as I had installed ocaml packages first (old reflex), but anyway I found two deps that blocked the installation : one on libev-dev (for lwt/utop I suppose) and libpcre3-dev (for oasis?). As it's only two, maybe it'd be worth to add them on the README.md. ocamlbrew, combined with odb for installing libraries is obviously a nice combo (at least for unix users) and seems less complex than GODI. However I believe both tools adopt rather different strategies regarding maintenance. GODI is good at updating packages to new versions, but up till now I am not sure ocamlbrew/odb can do the same. It seems that with the latter, you'd preferably start a new install from scratch rather than trying to find what's to be updated and effectively update it. Did I miss something? Anyway, thanks for this work, which was useful to me. Philippe. 2012/1/8 Hezekiah M. Carty > I would like to announce ocamlbrew, a (very simple, very alpha) tool > for automating and managing builds of OCaml, findlib, and other > OCaml-related items under $HOME on Linux. ocamlbrew takes it name and > a bit of wrapper code from perlbrew[1]. ocamlbrew provides a thin > bash wrapper around the standard OCaml + findlib build procedure, > taking advantage of odb[2] for further library and tool installations. > > ocamlbrew currently lives on github: > https://github.com/hcarty/ocamlbrew > > With one command[3] ocamlbrew can build OCaml, findlib, oasis, utop, > Batteries, and ocamlscript from source, plus get an easily source-able > file to set up your environment. Everything will be built and > installed under $HOME/ocamlbrew by default. > > ocamlbrew can also be used to build OCaml from any branch on the > official Subversion server. At this time I recommend using the "-f" > ocamlbrew flag with builds coming from Subversion due to some > incompatibilities between OCaml development versions and oasis. The > -f flag tells ocamlbrew to only install OCaml, findlib, and odb.ml, > skipping other tools and libraries. This will hopefully provide a > simple way to test and provide feedback to the core OCaml development > team when new releases or experimental branches are ready for testing. > > For more information, including ocamlbrew's requirements, see the > README.md file at the link above. > > Enjoy! Many thanks to Edgar/thelema and Adrien/adrien for taking the > time to test ocamlbrew and provide feedback as I was playing around > with the process. > > Hez > > [1] - http://search.cpan.org/~gugod/App-perlbrew/bin/perlbrew > [2] - https://github.com/thelema/odb > [3] - Well, one command and the availability of all non-OCaml build > prerequisites... > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa-roc.inria.fr/wws/info/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs > >