* [Caml-list] Any tool for unit tests as comments in OCaml source?
@ 2012-05-15  1:48 Francois Berenger
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Francois Berenger @ 2012-05-15  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: OCaml Beginners List

Hello,

What's the gold standard in OCaml to have
unit test as comments in source code in order
for a tool to automatically extract them
and generate a test suite?

Thanks,
F.

* Re: [Caml-list] Any tool for unit tests as comments in OCaml source?
@ 2012-05-15  2:08 ` Thibault Suzanne
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thibault Suzanne @ 2012-05-15  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi

I don't know if it's a « gold standard », but Batteries uses qtest. The
documentation (clear and concise in my opinion) can be found at
http://batteries.vhugot.com/qtest/.

Thibault Suzanne

@ 2012-05-15  2:08 ` Edgar Friendly
       [not found] ` <4FB1B60F.3060408@riken.jp>
From: Edgar Friendly @ 2012-05-15  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 05/14/2012 09:48 PM, Francois Berenger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What's the gold standard in OCaml to have
> unit test as comments in source code in order
> for a tool to automatically extract them
> and generate a test suite?
>
> Thanks,
> F.

Batteries uses a program called qtest to do this; it's within the
batteries source tree at the moment.  There are plans to move it outside
for other projects to use.

Docs here: http://batteries.vhugot.com/qtest/

E.

* [Caml-list] Any library for reading/writing compressed files?
       [not found] ` <4FB1B60F.3060408@riken.jp>
@ 2012-05-15  2:12   ` Francois Berenger
From: Francois Berenger @ 2012-05-15  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: batteries-devel, OCaml Beginners List

Hello,

What's the gold standard in OCaml to read/write
compressed files?

I found this: http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/camlzip/

Wouldn't it be possible that the Marshall module
had an option to allow compression of the marshalled
values?
Or is there a simple way to achieve this?

Thanks,
F.

* Re: [Caml-list] Any tool for unit tests as comments in OCaml source?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <4FB1B60F.3060408@riken.jp>
@ 2012-05-15  5:29 ` Cedric Cellier
From: Cedric Cellier @ 2012-05-15  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: OCaml Beginners List

There's some work going on around batteries qtest program. See for instance this wiki page on batteries tests:

https://github.com/ocaml-batteries-team/batteries-included/wiki/Developers-Guidelines

* Re: [Caml-list] Any library for reading/writing compressed files?
@ 2012-05-18 22:14     ` Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2012-05-18 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois Berenger; +Cc: caml-list, batteries-devel, OCaml Beginners List

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:12:18AM +0900, Francois Berenger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What's the gold standard in OCaml to read/write
> compressed files?
>
> I found this: http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/camlzip/
>
> Wouldn't it be possible that the Marshall module
> had an option to allow compression of the marshalled
> values?
> Or is there a simple way to achieve this?

If it's for Unix, then just open a pipe to or from an external
compression filter, eg:

  open Unix
  open Printf

  let () =
    let output = "output.xz" in
    let chan =
      open_process_out (sprintf "xz --best > %s"
                            (Filename.quote output)) in
    output_value chan 42;
    let status = close_process_out chan in
    (* some code here to check status was ok *)
    ()

(Also a good way to generate images from OCaml programs: pipe
to pnmto* programs).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] Any library for reading/writing compressed files?
@ 2012-05-19  1:25       ` Adrien
From: Adrien @ 2012-05-19  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard W.M. Jones
  Cc: Francois Berenger, caml-list, batteries-devel, OCaml Beginners List

There are libarchive bindings by Sylvain Le Gall on the forge too.
They're partial but already work for reading iirc, and writing
shouldn't be a lot of work (if it hasn't been added since I last
looked at it). That will potentially give xz, gzip, bzip2, tar, cpio
and I don't know what else.

--
Adrien Nader

* Re: [Caml-list] Any library for reading/writing compressed files?
@ 2012-05-19  1:27         ` Adrien
From: Adrien @ 2012-05-19  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard W.M. Jones
  Cc: Francois Berenger, caml-list, batteries-devel, OCaml Beginners List

Also, don't compress Marshal's output, it'll suck.

Marshal already does RLE compression IIRC (that might help for
situations constrained by memory-bandwidth) and that hinders other
compressions. In particular, with xz, it'll really be a waste of time.

--
Adrien Nader

* Re: [Caml-list] Any library for reading/writing compressed files?
@ 2012-05-21  1:20           ` Francois Berenger
From: Francois Berenger @ 2012-05-21  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list, batteries-devel

On 05/19/2012 10:27 AM, Adrien wrote:
> Also, don't compress Marshal's output, it'll suck.

My program generates large bitmasks:
ls -l X.mask.gz: 12K
gunzip X.mask.gz
ls -l X.mask: 2.1M

X.mask was generated by the Marshal module.

It was gzip -1 to compress.
The compression ratio looks amazing in my case
(which I measured in the first place before making
my program use it).

@ 2012-05-21  6:11             ` Adrien
From: Adrien @ 2012-05-21  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois Berenger; +Cc: caml-list, batteries-devel

You should check the bitmasks and Marshal's output with a binary
editor. There's probably at least one thing to learn.

This is with 2.1MB of zeroes.

8:08 ~ % dd if=/dev/zero of=Z.mask bs=1M count=2
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
2097152 bytes (2.1 MB) copied, 0.00606737 s, 346 MB/s
8:09 ~ % gzip -1v Z.mask
Z.mask:  99.6% -- replaced with Z.mask.gz
8:09 ~ % ls -lh Z.mask.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 adrien users 9.0K May 21 08:09 Z.mask.gz

--
Adrien Nader