* [Caml-list] State of Saffire or other FFI-checkers
@ 2012-08-22 12:28 Adrien
From: Adrien @ 2012-08-22 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I regularly stumble on Saffire which is an FFI-checker. Its webpage is
dead but still accessible (along with a release tarball) through
archive.org:
  http://web.archive.org/web/20100130005640/http://www.cs.umd.edu/~furr/saffire/

I've fixed the build system a bit but it seems to be missing a module
named "MLast" and I'm quite obviously stuck on that.

Has anyone updated saffire? Or has build sources that work? Or something at all?

Or are  there other checkers?

Thanks,
Adrien Nader

* Re: [Caml-list] State of Saffire or other FFI-checkers
@ 2012-08-22 12:58 ` Jérémie Dimino
From: Jérémie Dimino @ 2012-08-22 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Wed, 22 Aug 2012 14:28:01 +0200,
Adrien <camaradetux@gmail.com> a écrit :

> I've fixed the build system a bit but it seems to be missing a module
> named "MLast" and I'm quite obviously stuck on that.

MLast is from camlp5, you can try to replace all occurrences of camlp4
by camlp5 (and install camlp5).

Cheers,

--
Jérémie

* Re: [Caml-list] State of Saffire or other FFI-checkers
@ 2012-08-22 14:05   ` Adrien
From: Adrien @ 2012-08-22 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/08/2012, Jérémie Dimino <jeremie@dimino.org> wrote:
> Le Wed, 22 Aug 2012 14:28:01 +0200,
> Adrien <camaradetux@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> I've fixed the build system a bit but it seems to be missing a module
>> named "MLast" and I'm quite obviously stuck on that.
>
> MLast is from camlp5, you can try to replace all occurrences of camlp4
> by camlp5 (and install camlp5).

Thanks, this has unstuck me. Saffire seems to use an older camlp5 API
but I know where to look for changes.

Regards,

@ 2012-08-22 20:17     ` Adrien
From: Adrien @ 2012-08-22 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've created a project on the OCaml forge for Saffire:
  https://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/saffire/
  Git: https://forge.ocamlcore.org/anonscm/git/saffire/saffire.git

I've commited several fixes so far but it's not building yet.

Right now, building yields the following error:
  File "src/ext/ffi/ffi_common.ml", line 208, characters 8-35:
  Error: Unbound constructor MLast.RfTag

I've checked in all the camlp5 releases and none of them mentions
RfTag; only 4 commits in the ocaml sources mention it and I couldn't
see any documentation about it (saffire was built against ocaml 3.08).
Also, unfortunately, I don't know camlp5.

If you're interested in Saffire, you can become a commiter or simply
submit patches. The work to simply see which results it can bring is
probably minimal; it it proves useful in practice, there can also be
more work (like maybe using bin-annot instead of being a wrapper
around ocaml{c,opt} and using camlp4).

@ 2012-08-22 20:27       ` Kristopher Micinski
From: Kristopher Micinski @ 2012-08-22 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adrien,

Cool to hear that you've sort of resurrected Saffire.  I am a current
UMD student, though that work was done prior to my being here, though
with my advisor.  I'm not sure what the state of things is with it, I
found it to be really interesting work, and if you want, perhaps it
would be good for us to resurrect the UMD web page?

kris

@ 2012-08-23  8:28         ` Adrien
From: Adrien @ 2012-08-23  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/08/2012, Kristopher Micinski <micinski@cs.umd.edu> wrote:
> Adrien,
>
> Cool to hear that you've sort of resurrected Saffire.  I am a current
> UMD student, though that work was done prior to my being here, though
> with my advisor.  I'm not sure what the state of things is with it, I
> found it to be really interesting work, and if you want, perhaps it
> would be good for us to resurrect the UMD web page?
>
> kris

Resurrecting the page could be a good thing: there are many dead links
and there is a lot of data that I haven't copied. However I don't know
if it would be something easy: it would probably be hard to keep the
same URI and the data (if the wayback machine hasn't copied
everything) might be unavailable now.

--
Adrien Nader