From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Roberto Di Cosmo <roberto@dicosmo.org>
Cc: caml users <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Adding Dimensions to types
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 11:43:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Encoding integers with addition at the type level is easy enough (it
is possible to use a technique akin to difference list where you keep
unary numbers with a unification variable at their tail, to get the
unification engine to do the addition for you). Anything below that,
in particular substraction, cannot be done *conveniently* in the
type-system. It is possible to encode arbitrary operation on
type-level numbers (unary or not), expressed relationally
(Prolog-style: ('a, 'b, 'c) add is inhabited if 'a+'b='c) by a GADT
witnessing the relation, but actually building and using these
operations then requires the programmer to provide those witness terms
that are manipulated at runtime.

This could possibly be hidden under a layer of syntactic sugar; to
generate the correct witness terms, you however need access to the
typing environment or approximate it, so it's hard to do at the
camlp4-ppx layer, and you rather need .cmt-level processing; in fact
the new presentation of formats as GADTs does exactly this). However,
the runtime costs of witness manipulation could be prohibitive for
numerical computations.

I suspect that if for some reason people were to absolutely need this
feature, the easiest path would probably be to extend the type-checker
with support for this. So far, it seems that nobody was interested
enough in this to do the (important) amount of work necessary.