From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] 4.00.0 is coming
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 11:06:57 +0200	[thread overview]

To be fair, I'm not sure PR#5628 is the aspect of the change Richard
has in mind. I thought he was talking about the fact that he had to
manually edit the build system of programs using Toploop to add an
explicit `-I compiler-libs`. I don't think that's a "bug", but it
means some upgrade burden on library authors or packagers.

I think the reason for this change is that the move to compiler-libs/
was precisely to enforce a coherent location for libraries exported
from the compiler; keeping toploop in both stdlib/ and
stdlib/compiler-libs/ would confuse the setting, and this backward
compatibility hack would probably stay with us for too long. So indeed
I classify this change as "not a bug".

Gerd in PR#5268 complained that adding `#directory "+compiler_libs"`
just to #load "toploop.cma" would result in some form of namespace
solution. The #remove_directory directive will fix this problem, but
won't change (what I understand to be) Richard's issue, and also won't
fix the "namespace pollution" aspect for compiled, rather than
interactive programs. Program using `-I +compiler_libs` directly have
to add this path before any other path that contains module names that
would conflict with one of the module in +compiler_libs. Other options
that could improve this have been discussed in this bugtracker thread,
but they will probably have to wait for after the release.