From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Andreas Rossberg <rossberg@mpi-sws.org>
Cc: "Armaël Guéneau" <armael.gueneau@ens-lyon.fr>,
	"Amir Chaudhry" <amirmc@gmail.com>,
	"Duane Johnson" <duane.johnson@gmail.com>,
	"Dean Thompson" <deansherthompson@gmail.com>,
	"caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Discourse instance for the OCaml community? (was: how to encourage adoption of OCaml?)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 09:53:34 -0400	[thread overview]

Thanks Andreas, I think those are valid points.

On the other hand, I suspect that a forum may be complementary with a
mailing-list instead of replacing it. Armaël wrote:

> I personnaly would be happy to help newcomers on a forum.

and I think we should recognize that the caml-beginners list is a failure.

Some people use it, but in numbers that are fairly small compared to the
number of people that discover OCaml on a given time period (there are like
3 to 10 questions a month). It is sensibly less active than, say,
StackOverflow

  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/ocaml

and its "yahoo group" interface is horrible (I don't know why people are
enthusiastic about Google Groups either, but well).

Any beginner-level discussion is ill-served by caml-list, and currently the
only choice I think are IRC and StackOverflow, the first being fairly
unstructured and the second being completely over the top in term of
rigidity and blind application of dubious policies.

I don't yet have a super-good idea of how to clearly delineate "beginner
questions" and "stuff that would be a good fit for caml-list", but I think
having a clear picture there could be an answer to your concern.