From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Markus Mottl <markus.mottl@gmail.com>
Cc: "Richard W.M. Jones" <rich@annexia.org>,
	Yotam Barnoy <yotambarnoy@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Moving ocaml to github (as well)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 17:41:29 +0100	[thread overview]

I understand that this is a matter of "perception" that relies on
subjective aspects, but I would like to point out that, objectively, there
is not much difference between a github-style workflow and what currently
happens for "small contribution" (one-shot patches).

Probably the most common workflow on github is approximately as follows:
  (1) clone the github repository
  (2) get it to compile by following whatever instruction (OCaml has an
INSTALL file)
  (3) do your change, compile again and test
  (4) fork the github repository (some peopele do that at point (1)), push
your changes, submit a pull request

By comparison, my current OCaml workflow is as follows:
  (1) clone the github repository
  (2) identical
  (3) identical
  (4) use "git format-patch HEAD~1" to get a patch, submit it on mantis
(New Issue, upload a file)
       (recently some people just provide a link to the commit on their
github or wherever and it works just as well)

I understand that github provides an homogeneous experience so that users
don't have to wonder about what the workflow is, and that OCaml users may
need more explicit information about how to contribute (we can work on
that). I'm a bit surprised that an expert user that is a long-time
contributor on the bugtracker, such as Markus, would perceive a difference
in difficulty/welcome-ness here.