From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Jordan W <jordojw@gmail.com>
Cc: "caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Mutual recursion propagates individual recursion. Why?
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 08:25:45 +0100	[thread overview]

  let x1 = e1 and x2 = e2 and ... and xn = en in body

Has the effect that the x1,x2,..,xn are bound "simultaneously" in body, and
not before. Unlike what "let x1 = e1 in let x2 = e2 in ..." does, x1 is not
visible in e2, etc. This is rarely useful when programming, but extremely
useful when meta-programming, as it allows you to evaluate several
different pieces of code in the same scope independently, without risk of
variable shadowing.

For the record I don't find your feature suggestion particularly tempting.
Mutual recursion is more expressive than single-recursion, and I'm not sure
what would be the point of allowing the former and restricting the latter
-- the horse is already out of the barn. Instead of

  let rec fac = function
    | 0 -> 1
    | n -> n * fac (n - 1)

I can write

  let rec fac = function
    | 0 -> 1
    | n -> n * f (n - 1)
  and f n = fac n

turning any self-recursion into mutual-recursion.

I'm not sure I understand your point about accidental value recursion. Do
you have an example?

Note that it is possible to use recursive modules as a way to have
recursion between phrases (structure items) without explicitly using "rec".
It's a bad idea in most situations, because using recursive modules makes
you rely on more complex (and accordinly more fragile) features of the
language.