The use of camlp{4,5} to change OCaml syntax has always had extremely low adoption, with some very specific exceptions (notably the lwt-support syntax of the Ocsigen project). I suspect that this is due to the fact that integrating a new syntax extension to your project has historically caused more build-system and deployment trouble than people were willing to tolerate. ppx extensions are not designed to allow extending the OCaml syntax, and in particular I think they are not a good fit for what you are looking for. It is a large part of their appeal: by being less flexible, they are simpler and more robust. I personally believe that currified constructor syntax would be a better choice, and that using non-currified constructors is a historical mistake of SML/Caml. But I am also not convinced that efforts to change it today are worth the trouble, and prefer to concentrate on improving other parts of the OCaml ecosystem. Another thing that was touched by your comments is the usefulness of user-defined patterns (pattern synonyms). I have conflicted opinions on the question of whether adding pattern synonyms would be a good thing, but described one aspect of a proposal that I like (but also highlights that the feature can be a source of implementation complexity) in http://gallium.inria.fr/blog/pattern-synonyms-as-expressions/ On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Soegtrop, Michael < michael.soegtrop@intel.com> wrote: > Dear Francois, > > > let constr a b = Constr (a, b) > > unfortunately this won't work for matches. I will see if I get used to > this. If not I will take this as a reason to learn p5 and/or ppx :-) > > Best regards, > > Michael > Intel Deutschland GmbH > Registered Address: Am Campeon 10-12, 85579 Neubiberg, Germany > Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de > Managing Directors: Christin Eisenschmid, Christian Lamprechter > Chairperson of the Supervisory Board: Nicole Lau > Registered Office: Munich > Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 186928 > > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >