* [Caml-list] OCaml workshop 2017: call for presentations
@ 2017-04-03 22:04 Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2017-04-03 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

                        Call for presentations

                            OCaml 2017
               The OCaml Users and Developers Workshop

                         September 8th, 2017,
                            Oxford, UK,
                      Co-located with ICFP 2017

                http://ocaml.org/meetings/ocaml/2017/

           Talk proposal submission deadline: May 31st, 2017

(Please redistribute widely.)

The OCaml Users and Developers Workshop brings together the
OCaml community, including users of OCaml in industry, academia,
hobbyists and the free software community. Previous editions
have been colocated with ICFP 2012 in Copenhagen, ICFP 2013 in
Boston, ICFP 2014 in Gothenburg, ICFP 2015 in Vancouver and ICFP
2016 in Nara, following the OCaml Meetings in Paris in 2010 and
2011.

OCaml 2017 will be held on September 8th, 2017 in Oxford, UK,
colocated with ICFP 2017 and FSCD 2017.

  http://conf.researchr.org/home/icfp-2017
  http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/conferences/fscd2017/

Scope
-----

Presentations and discussions will focus on the OCaml
programming language and its community. We aim to solicit talks
on all aspects related to improving the use or development of
the language and its programming environment, including, for
example (but not limited to):

- compiler developments, new backends, runtime and architectures

- practical type system improvements, such as (but not
  limited to) GADTs, first-class modules, generic programming,
  or dependent types

- new library or application releases, and their design
  rationales

- tools and infrastructure services, and their enhancements

- prominent industrial or experimental uses of OCaml, or
  deployments in unusual situations.

Presentations
-------------

It will be an informal meeting with no formal proceedings. The
presentation material will be available online from the workshop
homepage. The presentations may be recorded, and made available
at a later time.

The main presentation format is a workshop talk, traditionally
around 20 minutes in length, plus question time, but we also
have a poster session during the workshop -- this allows to
present more diverse work, and gives time for discussion. The
program committee will decide which presentations should be
delivered as posters or talks.

Submission
----------

To submit a presentation, please register a description of the
talk (about 2 pages long) at

  https://icfp-ocaml17.hotcrp.com/

providing a clear statement of what will be provided by the
presentation: the problems that are addressed, the solutions or
methods that are proposed.

LaTeX-produced PDFs are a common and welcome submission
format. For accessibility purposes, we ask PDF submitters to
also provide the sources of their submission in a textual
format, such as .tex sources. Reviewers may read either the
submitted PDF or the text version.

Important dates
---------------

Wednesday 31st May (any time zone)  Abstract submission deadline
Wednesday 28th June                 Author notification
Friday 8th September 2017           OCaml Workshop

ML family workshop and post-proceedings
---------------------------------------

The ML family workshop, held on the previous day, deals with
general issues of the ML-style programming and type systems,
focuses on more research-oriented work that is less specific to
a language in particular (OCaml). There is an overlap between
the two workshops, and we have occasionally transferred
presentations from one to the other in the past. The authors who
feel their submission fits both workshops are encouraged to
mention it at submission time and/or contact the Program Chairs.

We are planning to publish combined post-proceedings and to
invite interested authors of selected presentations to expand
their abstracts for inclusion.

Program Committee
-----------------

Ashish Agarwal, Solvuu, USA
François Bobot, CEA, France
Frédéric Bour, OCaml Labs, France
Cristiano Calcagno, Facebook, UK
Louis Gesbert, OcamlPro, France
Sébastien Hinderer, INRIA, France
Atsushi Igarashi, Kyoto University, Japan
Oleg Kiselyov, Tohoku University, Japan
Julia Lawall, INRIA/LIP6, France
Sam Lindley, The University of Edinburgh, UK
Louis Mandel, IBM Research, USA
Zoe Paraskevopoulou, Princeton University, USA
Gabriel Scherer, Northeastern University, USA

Questions and contact
---------------------

Please send any questions to the chair:
  Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml workshop 2017: call for presentations
@ 2017-05-15 22:30 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2017-05-15 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Dear caml-list,

This is a  gentle reminder that the presentation submission deadline for
the OCaml workshop 2017 on May 31st, in two weeks. (For the details, the
original announcement at the end of this email.) Writing a talk proposal is
not very difficult (you can do it in 20-30 minutes), no need to wait for
the last minute!

  https://icfp-ocaml17.hotcrp.com/

If you have any question about the workshop, feel free to send me an email.

If you know someone whose work would be of interest to the OCaml community,
please encourage them to propose a presentation. The workshop is a unique
(yearly) even to meet other people of the OCaml community whose work may
have been supporting your own, or building on top of it.

The programme of the ICFP conference is now available. For a sneak peek,
some of the preprints are already available ( https://github.com/gasche/
icfp2017-papers ). Besides the ICFP conference, many co-located events may
also be of interest to the caml-community. See the list of events on the
ICFP webpage (ML-family languages, Haskell, Scheme, Erlang, type-directed
programming, effectful programming, high-performance computinng, art and
music).
  http://icfp17.sigplan.org/home

For the more theory-oriented among us, the co-located FSCD conference also
have many nice events (linear logic, unification, security,
higher-dimensional rewriting, homotopy type theory, string diagrams, proof
theory, confluence, logical frameworks, program rewriting):
  http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/conferences/fscd2017/

Finally, if you are a student (or are a teacher with students), you should
consider sending application(s) to the Programming Language Mentoring
Workshop ( http://icfp17.sigplan.org/track/PLMW-ICFP-2017 ), who can fund
conference attendance to university student ( the main target is
undergraduate and young graduate, corresponding to the bachelor/master
cycles in Europe ). ACM also has various forms of financial support
available, in particular for students that give a presentation; see
http://www.sigplan.org/PAC/.

Cheers

@ 2017-05-30 14:39   ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2017-05-30 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)