* [Caml-list] matching GADT option types
@ 2019-01-17  9:46 Christopher Zimmermann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Zimmermann @ 2019-01-17  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

why does the f type correctly while g fails to type?

Christopher

type 'a t =
  | A : unit t

let f =
  fun (type a) ~(p :a t option) () -> match p with
    | Some A -> ()
    | None -> ()

let g =
  fun (type a) ~(p :a t option) () -> match p with
    | Some A (* TYPING ERROR HERE *)
    | None -> ()

Error: This pattern matches values of type unit t
       but a pattern was expected which matches values of type a t
       Type unit is not compatible with type a

--
http://gmerlin.de
CB07 DA40 B0B6 571D 35E2  0DEF 87E2 92A7 13E5 DEE1

* Re: [Caml-list] matching GADT option types
@ 2019-01-17  9:58 ` Jeremy Yallop
From: Jeremy Yallop @ 2019-01-17  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Zimmermann; +Cc: Caml List

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 09:46, Christopher Zimmermann
<christopher@gmerlin.de> wrote:
> why does the f type correctly while g fails to type?
>
> Christopher
>
> type 'a t =
>   | A : unit t
>
> let f =
>   fun (type a) ~(p :a t option) () -> match p with
>     | Some A -> ()
>     | None -> ()
>
> let g =
>   fun (type a) ~(p :a t option) () -> match p with
>     | Some A (* TYPING ERROR HERE *)
>     | None -> ()
>
> Error: This pattern matches values of type unit t
>        but a pattern was expected which matches values of type a t
>        Type unit is not compatible with type a

GADT matching under or-patterns isn't currently supported in the
current release.  However, the following PR added some support, and
your code is now accepted with the trunk compiler:

    Allow GADT constructors to introduce equations and existential
types under or-patterns
    https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/pull/2110

* Re: [Caml-list] matching GADT option types
@ 2019-01-17 10:02 ` Christopher Zimmermann
From: Christopher Zimmermann @ 2019-01-17 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 10:46:11 +0100
Christopher Zimmermann <christopher@gmerlin.de> wrote:

Hi,

why does the f type correctly while g fails to type?

Christopher

type 'a t =
  | A : unit t

let f =
  fun (type a) ~(p :a t option) () -> match p with
    | Some A -> ()
    | None -> ()

let g =
  fun (type a) ~(p :a t option) () -> match p with
    | Some A (* TYPING ERROR HERE *)
    | None -> ()

Error: This pattern matches values of type unit t
       but a pattern was expected which matches values of type a t
       Type unit is not compatible with type a

to add to the confusion, why does f type while g fails to type ?

type 'a t =
  | A : [`A] t
  | B : [`A|`B] t

let f =
  fun (type a) ~(p :a t) () -> match p with
    | A -> (A: a t)
    | B -> (B: a t)

let g =
  fun (type a) ~(p :a t option) () -> match p with
    | Some B -> (B: a t)
    | Some A -> (A: a t)
    | None -> (A (* TYPE ERROR HERE *) : a t)

Error: This expression has type [ `A ] t
       but an expression was expected of type a t
       Type [ `A ] is not compatible with type a

--

@ 2019-01-17 10:08   ` Christopher Zimmermann
From: Christopher Zimmermann @ 2019-01-17 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: caml users

Thank you for the fast answer!

That means my second example will still be rejected in 4.08?

type 'a t =
  | A : [`A] t
  | B : [`A|`B] t

let f =
  fun (type a) ~(p :a t) () -> match p with
    | A -> (A: a t)
    | B -> (B: a t)

let g =
  fun (type a) ~(p :a t option) () -> match p with
    | Some B -> (B: a t)
    | Some A -> (A: a t)
    | None -> (A (* TYPE ERROR HERE *) : a t)

Error: This expression has type [ `A ] t
       but an expression was expected of type a t
       Type [ `A ] is not compatible with type a

@ 2019-01-17 10:12 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2019-01-17 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Zimmermann; +Cc: caml users

@ 2019-01-17 10:18   ` Gabriel Scherer